Retina MacBook Pro 15 inch advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bruceray, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Bruceray macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a MacBook ASAP. Need it for basic stuff: internet email word music internet videos pics quickbooks and games sometimes.

Looking to buy the basic MacBook Pro 15 inch retina. 2.0 ghz 8 gb ram and flash. Is 8 gb ram enough for me???? Will it last me years?

Or

Should I buy imac 21 inch 2.7 ghz ios5, 16 gb ram, 1 tb fusion?

Please help!!!
    Thanks

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

The base model 15" rMBP will be plenty powerful enough for years to come. Even with 8GB RAM. But if you are also considering an iMac, then you need to ask yourself if you need a laptop to begin with. I could never even consider an iMac as I need to take my computer with me.

3. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

It depends on what type of person you are and what your doing. I'm heavy in 3D rendering and video post processing on Final Cut Pro X. I originally owned the base Late 2013 15" model at 2 Ghz with 8GB of RAM and found that it wasn't enough so I exchanged it for the high end base model Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 15.4" with 2.3 Quad-Core i7 processor with 16 GB of RAM. The reason behind it was the graphic unit. The 8GB was sufficient as well as the 2 Ghz, but the intel iris Pro 5200 was not enough as I needed the Nvidia GT 750M with the intel iris pro 5200. I don't game on my Mac as I know the Mac can't handle powerful games like PC can. I don't know what your profession is or what you do on your free time, but the base low end $1999 model is sufficient for you and will last for a long time.