Retina Macbook Pro Backlight Bleed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdad123, Jun 30, 2012.

1. asdad123 macrumors regular

Hey guys, Im just wondering if any other owners of the Retina Macbook Pro's could check out their screens to see if they have any backlight bleed. I just realized my screen has pretty bad bleeding around the corners.

I understand this happened with the iPad 2, but I feel that this is sort of unacceptable on a $3000 laptop (after taxes).

[​IMG]

If others do not have this, do you think an Apple Store will exchange my unit?

2. conandoyle macrumors member

holy...the problem looks serious...haven't got my rmbp yet...

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

That does not look good. Mine doesn't seem to have this issue though- I just checked on a black background. The light and color are even.

4. asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

Is anyone else able to check their screens? I don't want this to be just me overreacting about this situation lol.

5. leenak macrumors 68020

Take it in!

I just checked and I don't have it. I put on a black background, put my backlight keys to high, turned down my screen brightness, and nothing. Definitely looks like a defect.

6. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

You should get an exchange, mine is perfectly fine :)
    Good luck!

7. asdad123, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. Ill be going to Best Buy tomorrow since I only bought it last monday. Hopefully they have another one so I can exchange it.

If Best Buy does not have it in stock, Apple Care should take care of it no problem right?

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

Define "no problem." There is very limited availability so that could be a problem.

9. asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

I mean that they won't have a problem repairing/replacing it. It doesn't matter to me how long it'll take as the laptop is still usable (I can only notice the bleed barely on a dark screen while on full brightness, but that should not happen on a laptop that costs $2800).

If there won't be a problem getting it repaired with apple care, I might wait until stock is more available and then take it into Apple.

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

They should definitely be replacing that unit. Stock is the only challenge with the rMBP at this time.

11. mgsarch macrumors regular

Same issue here, 2.7/16/512, very frustrating, trying to figure out how to handle, I think I'm just going to return rather than hope AppleCare gets it right.

12. asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

I just got mine replaced at Best Buy no problem. Thankfully they had another one left that they held for me until I got there last monday. The new unit only has a tiny spot of bleed on the right side of the screen, but I can live with it considering its so small.

Compared to my last one, this one is perfect lol.

13. Blue604 macrumors regular

HI, there,

I took a pic of my macbook pro retina with my iPhone.

Does this considered backlight leak? normal?

my first one had dead pixel, this is my 2nd one.

Attached Files:

14. boto macrumors 6502

boto

How significantly visible is it in normal light conditions? I notice some backlight bleeding on the bottom right edge, top right edge, and left side edge of the display, otherwise the other areas seem somewhat fine. If it's very noticeable in regular or low light conditions than I would exchange it for a new one. Just keep in mind that you will probably get one chance to replace it for that reason so make sure you choose the right decision. Through my personal experience I have exchanged 7 rMBP units due to defects out of the box, although backlight bleeding was one of the common issues I encountered in all machines even if it was extremely minimal. Well, hope everything turns out great for you.

15. Blue604 macrumors regular

what kind of defects did u encounter?

i feel backlight bleeding happens in all lcd monitor just depending on the severity. have u see one lcd monitor out of the 7 that has no blacklight bleed?

16. pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

mine does as well... also at least 1 dead pixel... going through applecare...

17. mdapple macrumors regular

18. pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

true but its something to whine about... I cannot pass up such a delicious prospect :D

19. deerfaced macrumors regular

Not trying to gloat, but my 2nd one is perfect. If it had come looking like that it would be going straight back!

Get on to Best Buy and arrange a replacement!

20. pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

How did you get to that dark screen? windows boot? I sorta forgot how I noticed mine bleeding... I think it was windows boot. I also notice it when quitting starcraft 2...

21. Sumalee macrumors newbie

all you have to do is to make a black font page on paint and put it in fullscreen ;)

22. pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

Shhhh don't TELL anyone how to get to the black screen, ITS A SECRET!!! Else everyone will see their screen hemorrhaging and... Shhhhh!!! :D:apple:

23. Sumalee macrumors newbie

it's normal to get some bleed... Although I had some on mine but I figured that the pictures I took are greatly enhancing the bleeding factor. Cameras are more sensitive to light than our eyes, this is why I took a few more minutes to think if I had a real reason to complain but it wasn't that obvious at the naked eye.

24. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I had trackpad issues, keyboard issues, pressure marks, cosmetic damage, and the most common was backlight bleeding.

Backlight bleeding is not common in all lcd monitors, my Sony laptop was purely perfect with solid black in a dark environment. I am almost certain it is due to Apple's manufacturer process, they are required to rush their rMBP productions to meet the demand on the market and this leads to some imperfections. There were two units that I deemed satisfactory in all 8 units I tested, my 5th and current machine have extremely little bleeding on one edge that is almost imperceptible unless you are paranoid and OCD like me.

25. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Backlight bleed is extremely common amongst LCD displays. Theres pretty much no avoiding it.

However, it does vary greatly in severity. In the OP's case, I'd say it warrants a return, as it completely changes the colour of the areas affected.

Bear in mind that its usually a lot more prominent in IPS panels as well. Dont ask me why, it just is.

My 5 year old Samsung TFT has minor backlight bleed at the sides, not enough to be bothersome, and I've yet to find an IPS panel across iPads, iPhones, Macs, and PC monitors that has been as mild as the Samsung monitor in terms of bleed severity. And trust me, Apple's terrible quality control has seen many devices pass through these hands.

Infact the only monitor I've seen with no backlight bleeding at all was an unbranded 27" IPS display which cost a paltry £150. Yeah the colours might be washed out compared to a high quality display, but everything is even.