Retina MacBook Pro Battery Concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Previse, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Previse macrumors member

I've got iStat installed and it says "Health 97%" With 7 Cycles. I've had the laptop for 6 Days and it doesn't come off the charger as you can tell. I know that Apple moved from Li-On batteries and to a new technology, so i'm a bit curious as to what to expect?

Will these batteries last a lot longer in lifetime (Not cycle time) than Li-On?

How come its 97% that quickly ... ? I know with my old jailbroken iPhone 4s a battery app said that it was 94-100% and it bounced in that area for a good 8 months or so then actually stuck at 95. Is this the same?

Off topic: Does airplay stress the computer a lot?

Thanks

2. robvas macrumors 68020

It won't charge to 100% all the time - that's by design. Don't stress out over it.

3. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

The battery health will wary with use. My rMBP has 16 cycles, is 1-2 months old and is at 100% health now. Being used for hours daily. The health has been down to 98% health at its lowest, but it eventually bounced up back to 100%. Don't worry about it, you can treat these kind of batteries pretty much how you want, just run it of the battery once a month or so.

4. Previse thread starter macrumors member

It's nearly always on , and always on the charger.

Health: 97%
    Cylces: 7
    Charge: 99%
    Charged

Another thing as noted above, it says charged yet charge is 99%? Sorry for my redundant questions; just ported over my entire life from windows to macintosh!

5. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

What kind of battery life are you getting off the charger? I am only getting a few hours with 70 cycles and 95% health. That is just browsing internet and wathcing videos, etc.

6. Previse thread starter macrumors member

Brightness at 5/16 & Keyboard at 5/16 i get roughly 6 Hours of web browsing / youtube / grooveshark

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The health will go up and down...it's nothing to worry about. And it can say charged anywhere from I think 95% to 100%. Again, nothing to worry about.

Basic rules: Keep it plugged in when you can, run it off the battery when you can't. Do run it off the battery every so often, though, because having it always plugged in isn't healthy for the battery. Mine is plugged in most of the time, but I run it off the battery for a while once a week or so. Don't stress so much about your battery...it will be fine.

8. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

The battery stops itself from overcharging, so that it stays at 99% isn't really an issue. On iStat it says my battery is at 99% too, but on the menu bar it say 100%. No Biggie. Six hours of browsing and videos is pretty standard with the lighting you describe. Just be sure to run it off the battery once in a while, and the battery will stay in good shape for a good few years.

9. celticfc482 macrumors member

I just got a new macbook pro retina as well, so is it advisable to keep it on the charger most of the time even when it is fully charged?

Thanks

10. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

It doesn't really matter that much anymore. I simply charge it when i can.

11. mrbigglessworth macrumors member

Apple says to fully drain the battery with usage at least once a month.

My plan is to use it when Im in the home office on the charger, but once a month, just unplug it (or more if travelling whatever) and let it cycle a full rundown. Plug back in, and keep on using.

12. Daniel L macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Straight from the horse's mouth

22 cycles 100% health.

It's weird though that your laptop has 7 cycles in only 6 days. You'd have to use the laptop all day off the charger to get that kind of usage. I kept the notebook at 1 cycle for about 2 weeks when I first got it but now it's off the charger all the time.

13. reery macrumors regular

reery

Click on "About my Mac", then "More Info...", then open up the "System Report". What are your charge and health informations in the power section?