Retina Macbook Pro battery replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleTree, Jul 15, 2012.

1. AppleTree macrumors member

Ok, so we all know that the retina macbook pro battery is glued to the chassis internally and that Apple offers to change it for the low price of $199.

My question is, does anyone know how they actually change it? Do they have some magic chemical that disintegrates the glue? or do they actually just swap all of your components into a new chassis where there is a new battery?

2. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

My suspicion is that they will simply give you a new MBP with your solid state storage (which is removable) inserted into it. Pretty much the procedure they already use for iPads/iPhones, except that they don't have removable storage cards.

3. Lindono macrumors member

Glue is generally not hard to weaken with some heat application, however heat + battery? Perhaps they have a way, I mean, it should be possible, I just don't see any "safe" way, doesn't mean they don't do it that way though. The entire board would cost quite a bit more than that to replace, so I think they must just replace the batteries.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They're not going to replace an entire Mac just to replace the battery. Apple installed the battery. They know how to remove it.

5. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

They perform the rainbow dance which attracts unicorns to Apple in Cupertino. Following this, the unicorns are sacrificed and their blood is used to heal the battery and restore it's usual tasty goodness. :apple:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You realize, of course, that you're violating Apple's nondisclosure agreement by revealing that! :D

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

My guess is that they will swap the top case with the battery glued in. Then the old topcase + battery gets sent back to a service center where the old battery is removed and recycled, and a new one installed. Then the refurbished topcase + battery is sent back to an Apple Store to be someone else's replacement.

8. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

I dont think they'll replace the whole computer just for new battery... imagine if someone scratched their top case, and they get a new case+battery for $200...?

The bottom case itself costs $200 lol

9. Slivortal macrumors 6502

That doesn't change the fact that the now-replacement logic board has a bad battery. They need to replace it or the lobos bad

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Huh? You get a new battery, and then your old topcase would get a new battery installed somewhere where they have the right chemical or heatgun to remove the old battery so they can install a new one. Nobody gets an old battery except for the recyclers.

11. Mavrack macrumors member

Mavrack

It involves Uranium, 200,000 volts, lazer beams, and a sacrificial ceremony that involves the Apple geniuses standing in a circle with the Apple logo that is outlined in the blood of Viewpro people and chanting ancient hymns that opens up a worm hole. Where Steve Jobs levitates out of the iCloud in the worm hole. And uses his iHands to shoot a huge beam lighting at the Mac, scrambling matter and all space around it, creating a series of magical and mysterious lights that turn the current bad battery into a extremely bright light that then consumes the battery. The battery then shoots energy beams out of it and the light goes out. Leaving in it's place is a brand new battery. You should know this as you accepted their new iTunes agreement... ;)

But seriously I am not sure. Using a heat gun maybe? Or maybe a process that dissolves the glue.

12. Aodhan macrumors regular

As near as I can tell, replacing the battery requires a replacement of the entire upper case. That would mean new case, new touchpad, keyboard, speakers, and the super-glued battery. I wonder how well Apple thought this out. Maybe using some of that really thin double-sided sticky tape would have saved them a lot of money, and would have allowed their customers to easily change their own batteries.

13. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

I'm not sure how Apple intend to do this battery replacement for $200. According to all the materials provided to AASPs, replacing the battery requires replacement of the top case assembly and under no circumstances should it be attempted to separate or remove the battery from the top case. That said, the cost of replacing the top case assembly (as a part) is significantly more expensive than the replacement fee being promoted (which I have to admit, I only found out about today), unless Apple are subsidizing the cost; but why would they eat the cost on a consumable part. I am going to look in to this further...

14. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Probably because they can refurbish the top case themselves at a service center or at the factory and put a new battery back in it.

So the cost isn't for a new topcase and battery as if you were just purchasing the parts, it's for a refurbished (or possibly new) topcase and a new battery plus they get your old topcase.

15. cmdrmac macrumors regular

This seems like it will be time intensive process - even at the Genius Bar. And that's assuming they are willing to replace the battery while you wait.

16. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

They advertise same day service at an Apple Store with an appointment, so, it's not going back to an external service centre or depot to have it done. Whatever they are doing, or are planning on doing, they are keeping in stock.

They get the old top case on exchange hardware service anyway, I don't see how that makes a difference. If you saw the state of 90% of the machines that come through for service, the top cases would not be reusable for anyone else...

----------

They are advertising "same day with appointment." It's not that intensive of a process, once you've done it two or three times it takes less than an hour, possibly even half an hour (I haven't timed myself).

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

No, you would get a new/refurbished topcase with a new battery the same day. Your old topcase would be sent back to possibly be refurbished and become someone else's replacement, at least that's my guess.

Worst case it gets seperated into battery and aluminum shell and both are recycled (which for the aluminum at least should make Apple some money).

I think they do much the same thing for iPads, except in that case they give you a whole iPad with a new battery and take yours to be refurbished.

18. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

But, that's my point. What you have described is an exchange hardware service... That's how it normally works and how the Retina top case is currently priced in the SP system (as well as with a higher stock price)... But the cost for the hardware is at least twice the battery replacement cost.

19. Stetrain macrumors 68040

They're probably doing it at their own cost or even a bit less and just factoring that into the original purchase price.

The other possibility is that they're planning on doing an actual battery swap in store using a heat gun to remove the old battery.

20. lcseds macrumors 6502a

The palm rest assembly gets replaced. The trackpad cable passes under the glued battery. There is no prying anything out.

21. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Huhwaa?

22. lcseds macrumors 6502a

The batteries are glued to the palm rest assembly. Prying the batteries out to replace would likely damage the track pad cable as well as the batteries. So, batteries are replaced as an assembly.
    When your batteries get replaced on a rMBP, you will also end up with a new palm rest and track pad.

23. TurnTronics macrumors member

I highly doubt Apple would give away a brand new MBP for $200. Everyone would take their Mac in for a "battery replacement" and get a brand new computer. Would be nice if gave away new units, but Apple would lose a ton of money.

24. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep, they don't do that. As others have noted in this thread, they replace the top case with the battery attached, and the old part gets sent back to Apple where the battery is presumably removed and recycled, and a new battery is likely attached and that part made available for the next person who needs one (assuming it's still in good shape).

jW