Retina Macbook Pro (Craiglist)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bravens52, Sep 30, 2013.

1. bravens52 macrumors regular

I saw an add on craiglist for a rMBP for 1100 the base 13 model 8 gb hd and 128 ssd 2.5gz cpu..I offered the seller 900 and he's fine with that.. Do you all think that is a good deal..he says its like new condition and he hasnt really used it.

2. robvas macrumors 68020

3. Y So Jelly macrumors regular

Of course he hasn't.

4. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Of course he hasn't. The person he stole it from did all the work on the machine. ;)

5. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Ask him if he has original box / accessories. If he does, chances are it is not stolen.

If he does not, be weary of $900 price tag, but that does not by any means ensure that it is stolen. Call him and talk to him on the phone, you can usually tell if the person seems sketchy or not just by talking to them on the phone.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Excellent advice - few people have balance when it comes to CL :)

I purchased a 3K MBP for 1440 - it was 5 months old on CL. Completely legit.

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Wow, that's an amazing deal. Makes me want to be more disciplined and scan CL more regularly.

8. bravens52 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah he sounded legit..has all original boxes..just said it was a work computer that he no longer uses..

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

very public place - use common sense - enjoy a great deal!

10. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I'd be cautious still, it could very well be a work-supplied Mac that he didn't pay for and he's trying to sell it and pocket the money.

It's also not too hard to get boxes, so I'd also match the serial on the box to the laptop and ask to see the receipt. It's an rMBP, if he bought it in-store then he'd get a printed receipt. If bought online then it would be a digital one, in any case he should have no excuse for not having the receipt.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Meet in a well lit, public place with wi-fi. Tell him you'd like the serial number in advance so you can check it on a website that lists stolen macs. Ensure he's listed as the owner of the machine. (Open up terminal and see if the owner is listed...ie, Seller First Name-Seller Last Name - type of machine-)

Ask him WHY he's selling it and see if it passes the sniff test. I bought a steal of a deal on a 17" late 2011 macbook pro last July on CL. Guy had all the box.,etc, gave me the serial number to check, and informed me his aunt bought it for him when he entered community college, but he dropped out and needed it to fix his car.

Got a base model 11" 2013 Air for $800 (less than two months old), but had to drive 30 miles on a CL ad. Had all the boxes, etc., and it was provided to him for a computer science course. He used it for the time he was required to, and knew he wasn't going to work on Macs for his job.