Retina MacBook Pro creaking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dailybibliotaph, Jun 23, 2012.

1. dailybibliotaph macrumors member

Hi guys. I tried posting this on the Apple Support page but they are still having issues with log-ins.

I just received my 2.6ghz Retina yesterday and I noticed immediately that there is a creaking sound that comes from the left side (thunderport side) when i pick it up with the lid open. Upon closer inspection I can see that the case back isn't flush where the middle screw is located on both sides (more prominent on the left but it's visible on the hdmi side too). Putting mild pressure causes the gap to close. No visible sign that the screw is hanging loose.

I called tech support and they advised that it should not be doing that and made an appointment with my local Genius this afternoon. They also wanted my to take a picture and send it to them, which I did.

Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

2. noteple macrumors 65816

This should not be. Don't let them take a screwdriver to it and tell you all is well.

3. dailybibliotaph thread starter macrumors member

I'm hoping it's a matter of incorrect torque applied to the screws @factory. Since I don't have the new screwdriver needed I'll have to rely on the guys at the Genius Bar.

As a note I just saw a post on Apple Support Forum with a similar problem coming from the Thunderport side as well.

4. KitzelFox macrumors newbie

I had this problem with my 2009 17" MBP, it has phillips screws in it so I was able to unscrew them all and screw them back in with the same amount of torque applied to each screw. I didn't measure the torque, just judged each one as I went and it solved my problems completely. I'm guessing you have the same type of issue, if you can even call it that. I'd say try doing the same before you send your computer back, wouldn't want to get something worse. :)

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

6. dailybibliotaph thread starter macrumors member

Yup. So it looks like it was the outer screws that were torqued too much @ factory. The re-torqued and it doesn't creak. It's still not completely a perfect fit though. The Apple Store manager was good enough to still offer a swap for a new rMBK, as soon as they get their next shipment in. Great customer service!

7. jimmyjones macrumors newbie

Not a bad deal then eh