Retina Macbook Pro Display Replacement Risk>Benefits?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfreak101, Dec 11, 2014.

?

Are you Happy with your screen replacement?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2015.
  1. Yes! Finally a screen with no IR /Yellow Tint

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. NO! Stuck with a yellow tinted screen/ IR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. macfreak101 macrumors regular

Recently due to negligence the apple authorized service center scratched my brand new display. After a lot of heated conversations with apple care they have offered me to replace the display, my display works fine as of now and has no issues but if i was suppose to sell this computer because of the scratch my resale value will take a hit so I'm comparing the risks against the benefits
    since Apple is offering me the display free of cost.

My concerns being:

- Ending up with a yellow tinted display(Apple said its normal to have one)

- The famous Burn IN/ Ghosting Problem

-Many 2012/13 tinted displays rotating and being used for replacement

-Does the display and top case and hinge come as one part and is it a very complex process or a simple one?

Im not sure as to what screen I have is there a way to find out what screen I have and specifically ask for the same one? Though the service center guys said there is no way to find out which display they get.

People who have got their screens replaced, have you'll ended up with good displays or the one with a yellow tint?

Would love to hear your stories :)

2. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

IMO both are less of a problem than it seems from various entries in forums like this one. With so many million devices sold it's only a small fraction that is affected and I think quite some people have had their screen swapped as a goodwill action by Apple rather than due to a real problem.

The small number of screens that
    • are from a faulty 2012 batch
      AND
    • have been swapped
      AND
    • put away for replacement
      AND
    • objectively have a massive yellow tint
      AND
    • have not already been re-used or recycled
    is probably infinitesimally small. Of course you _may_ have a problem. Bigger chances are, you won't.

Let go of the notion that one manufacturer is "good" and the other is "bad". Samsung has its own weaknesses compared to LG. And if you believe a screen from a certain manufacturer _could_ have a problem, sooner or later you make yourself believe it is there, even if it isn't. The hysteria about swapping your LG-screen Macbook (Air/Pro) until you got a Samsung one was borderline comical.

The scratch on the screen is real and does affect your sales price. Apple offered you to swap it free of cost. This gives you the sales argument of a brand-new screen (with little to no "miles" on it) and resolves the objective problem of a damaged screen.

3. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks that was a very detailed answer :)
    so basically in short you're saying that I must go for it?
    The thing is i live in India and that parts as they say come from Singapore and not the States so I'm a little concerned regarding the quality and because my machine being new a screen replacement is something major, isn't it? But at the same time apple have once already refixed my screen (removed the display and reassembled it) as there was some problem so I'm guessing its the same process.

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Here we go again....worrying about stuff that hasn't happened.

Since Apple has offered to replace the screen free of cost, let them replace it. Quit worrying about something (yellow tint or burn-in) that hasn't happened.

5. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not about worrying, as I mentioned Apple said if my screen is replaced and if I end up with a yellow tint they will call it normal and won't do anything about it. So I'm sorry for my concern.