Retina MacBook Pro Early 2013 2.7GHz temperatures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lapy, Jul 8, 2013.

1. lapy macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to check with you guys if my temperatures are normal for a 2.7GHz i7.

I use iStat pro, laptop is in clamshell mode (closed) connected to a normal 1080p display, power is connected.

Doing light tasks like browsing this website or programming/typing, the temp is around 47°C.
    If I run prime95 stress test it goes to 102°C at first then drops to 94°C solid (turboboost reads up to 3.5GHz overclock!).
    If I import photos with iPhoto, it goes to 98°C about but the processor is just used for a 30%.

Does anyone have the same temps with the 2.7GHz?

P.S. My room temperature is 28°C

2. TheGrayHatter macrumors newbie

Ran a prime95 on my rMBP (2.7 as well) and hit 103 as a high, stabilized at about 101-102, CPU fan hit 5920 rpm and the GPU sensor reported about 75c. Seems that the CPU likes to ramp up quickly (iPhoto giving about 90-95c) but it doesn't ever exceed that 103 mark. New to OS X, is there an Intel Burn Test or similar program to run in order to asses the thermals?
    P.S. My room temp is 27c

Does anyone know the temp required to force a shutdown on the 2013 rMBP? 15 inch. When working with PC, having 80c on the 2600k was the high end, not used to seeing temps this high.

3. lapy thread starter macrumors newbie

Technically the threshold for a forced shutdown is 105°C, written on Intel's specs page.
    I feel a bit better knowing I'm not alone, hopefully these temps are not harmful for our expensive machines :rolleyes:

4. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

I've hit 105C before for a few seconds but it never shut down. I get about the same temps and eventually it levels off lower.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

woah 105c ! my retina stays around 65 when working on professional apps and 44 with normal browsing and music. Room temps are between 18-22.
    When in non air-conditioned rooms it goes to 70-75max.

7. lapy thread starter macrumors newbie

What processor do you have? What program do you use to monitor temperatures?

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Assuming auto-power off is initiated, which is not always the case (a Dell using the same CPU model did not shut down when it overheated... not until it burnt up. Even then, then the power goes out, so do the fans so the ambient temperature around the CPU keeps it nice and toasty for some time. Not good.)

98C is outrageously high and anything above 80C under full load is just not good. Intel's specs say 105C is max (before thermal shutdown theoretically kicks in), but here in the real world where laws of physics can't be absconded, the longer you run a chip hot will lower its lifespan. I keep mine running at <70C, even if the fan has to be ran at 5500RPM. Toward 50C when possible (e.g. Photoshop work).

Indeed, Apple's own forum has a HUGE discussion on early-2011 models overheating and locking up (150-somer pages), with a lot of people being hung out to dry. Anyone can say "98C is normal" but they do not work in the electronics industry, where server farms are kept cool - so if 98C is A-OK, why spend zillions in air conditioning? There you go; one is not supposed to run chips hot. PERIOD.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22436362?ac_cid=tw123456#22436362

----------

Awesome.

It's possible the OP got a bunk unit.

If your temps are the norm that people see, Apple has made some FANTASTIC changes. Yay!

9. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

i have the 2.7ghz i7 with 16 gigs ram
    i use istat pro
    heres my current temps with 22 tabs open on firefox. Itunes playing some podcasts and downloading new ones.
    My macs just 6 days old.
    Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 11.17.10 PM.png

il post some pics later on when im working on aperture or logic.

10. lapy thread starter macrumors newbie

That CPU temp doesn't count, mine is low too, it's the CPU proximity temp.

The high temps are the CPU Die temp and CPU Core temp.

11. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

no option for that in the istat pro, i'll download the istatmenu and post back.
    thanks for pointing that out. However i must say with the same usage i had on my 13inch cMbp i feel the retinas fans not shooting up that much and definitely not noisy. While gaming on rage i can hear the fans but it wasnt as noisy as the cMbp.

edit: installed istatmenus
    Screen Shot 2013-07-10 at 12.03.56 AM.png

12. lapy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok now try to do something intensive, I see that your CPU is idle in the screenshot.

13. lapy, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

lapy thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's my temps in idle, for the widget I'm using the tweaked one you can find a few posts back.

Computer was unplugged, and using internal monitor/integrated gfx.

Attached Files:

14. Doward macrumors 6502a

15. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Nice to see :rolleyes: because those higher temps, sustained, for video editing, 3D rendering, or other things that are just as hard hitting as gaming, WILL reduce the lifespan of the machine over time. The hotter it is and the longer it takes to cool down means the greater chance of damage, whether it happens fast or slow. Stability and random lockups would be the most obvious symptoms.