Retina MacBook Pro February Processor Bump?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheChauncellor, Feb 13, 2014.

1. TheChauncellor macrumors newbie

Hello!

I will be in New York this weekend and close to the Mac Store. I'm planning on taking advantage of my location and buying a new R MacBook Pro.

In the past few years, we have traditionally seen processor speed bumps and price drops at the end of February. Do you think we might see something like this in late February / Early March?

Intel did just release some new haswells at the end of January.

Just wondering if I should wait it out a little longer. I know I can always keep waiting for the newest technology and never buy anything, but this is a serious question. Why wouldn't we see another bump before broadwell later this year?

2. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

If you spec out your processor on the 15" retina macbook pro, then you get the 2.6 GHz (i7-4960HQ) with 6 MB on-chip L3 cache.

This is about as high as you can go, for a fair price.

Unless apple is planning on upgrading that option to the 4930MX or 4940MX which are both about 400$ more expensive, I doubt it.

3. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

I doubt they're going to do a CPU bump any time soon...

Considering the fact that the next family of chips from Intel won't come until late this year or in the beginning of next year, my guess would be that they're going to hold on to the minor bump for this machine until the back-to-school season in late summer/early fall.