Retina Macbook Pro freezes. Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KGrong, Sep 29, 2012.

1. KGrong macrumors newbie

Hi!

My barely a week old Retina Macbook Pro has already frozen once while typing an address in Safari (hard freeze), and another time when waking up from sleep (also a hard freeze, nothing would respond).

Should I be worried? Should I take it to an Apple store? It's been working fine apart from the hard freezes. I've had more crashes one week in OSX than 1 year in Windows 7!

Would appreciate any input.

2. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

Check your Console Log to see if there are any errors. Sounds like it could be an unhappy application or it could be a hardware issue of some kind.

Unless you can show an error message or dump or get it to do it while in the Apple store, it might be difficult to get it fixed.

Are you still within your return period? If you are concerned, you could always return this unit and try again.

3. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

I am experiencing the same. I've had a number of random freezes. I don't use Chrome. It's happened right after waking up from standby, doing stuff in iPhoto or Safari. Can't really pinpoint what is causing it.

In the beginning I thought it was software related, but it's persisted through OS and firmware updates, and since there isn't a single big "My MBPr crashes often" thread going on here, I'm beginning to suspect it is something with the hardware in mine.

4. florianuhlemann macrumors member

Well, my - top-of-the-line MBPr 15" is having similar issues..

Yesterday, when editing a D800 36megapixel photo in aperture (10.8.2 + latest aperture) and using the skin soften brush - i've had freezes for 5 seconds every 5-10 seconds! very annoying. other instances i've found to cause a hanging freeze are chrome, safari, flash on web browser, ..

is this hardware issue or software issue? doubt it's a hardware issue though...

5. brennj4 macrumors newbie

Thats a big ditto for my top of the line MBPr. It is now freezing completely at least a couple times a week. I do run a pretty heavy load on the machine...but my 2010 macbook could handle the same load without freeze. Sometimes it is just black screen when opening the lid, and sometimes it is a hard freeze while working. In both cases my only recourse is to hold down the power button. THe mouse cursor moves on screen... but thats it.

6. sulphur27 macrumors newbie

hi,

I had the same issue once and hardware test dive me some ssd errors so apple changed it :) And now it started to happen again (no errors in AHT) but i this that the ssd in retina early 2013 are quite broken ...

7. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I have a 2012 and it had never happened, until 2 weeks ago, it happened once, then one more time.

It seemed to only happen after I reinstalled Mavericks, so I repaired permissions and it seems to be ok now. I would do that and check the volume in disk utility. If that doesn't work, reinstall the OS.

At least that seems to have worked for me. Obviously if its hardware with the 2013 it won't but...