Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Hi

I have a Retina MacBook Pro (fully up to date, 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 768GB SSD) that is fully up to date with it's software. However:

When I click Apple > Shutdown (or press the power button and then shutdown) the computer locks up for about 10 seconds and then just goes off (screen just switches off and it powers off).

For example - I am using my computer with a few programs running. I then close them all (and check they are closed by opening the Force Quit window and I see only Finder). I then click shutdown. The icons on my desktop will disappear, and the dock might slide down just a fraction (say 1/5) before the screen freezes, leaving a partial dock and no icons. 10-20 seconds later, the computer just powers off.

Probably not healthy for the computer - does anybody have any ideas? What should I try?

Thanks,

Sam

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Try:

Resetting the SMC.

Resetting the NVRAM.

Hi!

Thanks for this - I do this as my monthly maintenance process anyway. But no luck.

I also think I didn't make it so clear - about half of the time does it do this. The other half, it goes to the grey screen with the rotating wheel to indicate shutting down. Even if it does this though, it still takes like 15 seconds to switch off - I have a friend with exactly the same machine whose goes to that grey screen and shuts off in 2 seconds, which I believe is the expected behaviour.

Sam

DangerClose

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
Hi!

Thanks for this - I do this as my monthly maintenance process anyway. But no luck.

I also think I didn't make it so clear - about half of the time does it do this. The other half, it goes to the grey screen with the rotating wheel to indicate shutting down. Even if it does this though, it still takes like 15 seconds to switch off - I have a friend with exactly the same machine whose goes to that grey screen and shuts off in 2 seconds, which I believe is the expected behaviour.

Sam

Mine does the same thing. Roughly half of the time it goes right off, and the other half it freezes before going to the grey screen.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Mine does the same thing. Roughly half of the time it goes right off, and the other half it freezes before going to the grey screen.

It does seem like an odd bug. I wonder if it has something to do with program permissions - I have noticed it happens 100% of the time if I had any kind of sudo window open (i.e. sudo Finder or a root level terminal).

Sam

MarcoWBecker

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2013
Hi. Are you using Dropbox? I got this exact problem now that I updated my dropbox to version 2.2.8!!

when I restart or shutdown my macbook pro, it just turn off without the rotating wheel and the shutdown screen! I think it doesn't shutdown properly.. My desktop icons disappear and dock freezes showing 1/2, 1/4 ...

I'll send a feedback to Dropbox developers now.

marshy82

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
Hi

I have a Retina MacBook Pro (fully up to date, 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 768GB SSD) that is fully up to date with it's software. However:

When I click Apple > Shutdown (or press the power button and then shutdown) the computer locks up for about 10 seconds and then just goes off (screen just switches off and it powers off).

For example - I am using my computer with a few programs running. I then close them all (and check they are closed by opening the Force Quit window and I see only Finder). I then click shutdown. The icons on my desktop will disappear, and the dock might slide down just a fraction (say 1/5) before the screen freezes, leaving a partial dock and no icons. 10-20 seconds later, the computer just powers off.

Probably not healthy for the computer - does anybody have any ideas? What should I try?

Thanks,

Sam

I am also experiencing this, any solution?

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Hi

Thanks,

Sam

The text in bold is happening to me right after a fresh install. Not sure why, but has anyone figured out a fix to this?

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
What everyone is seeing is normal. It seems to be a result of the 10.9.x performance improvements to reduce shutdown time. Instead of going to a gray screen and showing you the pinwheel like previous versions, it begins to fade to the gray screen however it is too far along in the shutdown process to complete it.

If it is hanging here 10-15 seconds as some have mentioned, are you on 10.9.1?

Point of reference - all of my machines exhibit the same behavior without the delay with new installs and no additional applications installed. 2012 Mac Pro 2x3.06 Xeon, 2013 MacBook Pro with retina display, 2012 MacBook Pro. All have Apple OEM SSDs.

If the OS was not shutting down properly, it would tell you at the next startup and would log it in Console.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
Mine does the same, from 10.10 through to 10.11.3, ever since I first got it.

Its not visually appealing and I thought Apple would fix it, but nothing yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.