Retina Macbook Pro Gaming Performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pgeske, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Pgeske macrumors newbie

I am planning to buy myself the base model retina macbook pro for college. I am primarily going to be using this laptop for work and to carry around with me to lectures. However, I will not have a gaming console with me, so I would like to use the retina macbook pro to do some gaming as well. Some of the games I would like to play include Skyrim (on bootcamp), Diablo 3, Civ 5, Portal 2, and Tf2. Also, I would like to run these games on high (not completely ultra) smoothly. Oh, and I will not be playing these games at the max resolution (which doesn't seem to be suggested for gaming on the retina mbp). Instead, I will be doing 1080p or so for gaming. So, how would the retina macbook pro handle these games at 1080p?

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

It should be able to do it. My 2010 MBP can do it.

3. golu14 macrumors regular

Ive heard theres a retina update due for diablo 3 soon.
    Im not quite sure about real world performance but spec wise, it should handle them with real ease.

4. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

my high end 2011 works with all of those games at 1680x1050, so the retina should have no problems whatsoever.

5. No-Me macrumors 6502a

Played L4D2 with steam today on my base rMBP (8GB ram), runs totally fine, fans are really silent where my old MBP would make a lot of noise :)

6. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

As long as you're happy with 1080p, then yeah you should be able to max out the other visual settings and still have a FPS hovering around 60. Especially on older games like TF2.