Retina MacBook Pro gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RedLDR, Jun 15, 2013.

1. RedLDR macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Yes, I know that these beasts are not designed for gaming but I am currently getting the money together to buy one and was just curious.

I don't play what I would call graphics intensive games. Currently I play lotro, guild wars 2, and dayz, and I anticipate playing arma 3.

Gaming isn't a major thing for me, just a way to unwind sometimes.

Anyone have any experience with these games or similar?

Thanks in advance :)

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. RedLDR thread starter macrumors newbie

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The 15" has a factory overclocked 650M that behaves like a 660M. Performance is very good under Windows. Anandtech made a good gaming review of the rMBP and its 650M.

5. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

6. Dwinguel macrumors member

Dwinguel

I got one myself which I use for gaming (Boot camp) and the performance is very good for a laptop of this size.

I have to say it's the best portable Mac I have had in terms of gaming performance at the time of purchase (I mean for playing games available at the time the machine came out).

I can play the Witcher 2 with most settings to high at 1680x1050. To me that's pretty good as a benchmark. Of course I'm not getting 60 fps, more like 30-35, but that's enough in my view (others won't agree).

So you will have no problem with lotro, guild wars and others of the same calibre at 1680x1050 or even 1920x1200.

7. klover macrumors 6502a

I game exclusively on my rMBP (15) and it handles everything quite nicely. BF4, SWTOR, Diablo III, and Bioshock Infinite all run at high detail and good FPS (at mid-range resolutions).

Only thing I don't care for is fan noise and heat when gaming but, given the size of this thing, I can't expect otherwise.

8. RedLDR thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Looks like I should be fine to wander the shire in style on my new notebook :p

9. Androidpwns macrumors regular

That's a lot of $$$'s just to play games ( just sayin' ).

Good luck with your purchase!

10. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I currently own a maxed on rMBP and I can verify that is handles gaming pretty respectably. As long as your fine with some moderate fan noise and 95 Celsius temps at the higher end settings, it will do just fine. Good luck!

11. RedLDR thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol read my original post...

12. Androidpwns macrumors regular

LOL nice cover ;)

13. Jinzen macrumors 6502

You should probably wait a few months for the update. Undoubtably faster graphics, hugely improved battery life, faster SSD etc.

14. Fynd macrumors 6502

When I had mine (first released version, mind you) throttling was a huge huge issue. Nothing could be done to fix it, and my gaming suffered horribly for it. When it wasn't throttling it played like a dream, I had no issues playing any game at 1080p with good settings. I *believe* they may have resolved some of the throttling issues?