Retina MacBook Pro - Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Squilly, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I've been talking to a guy on Craigslist about their Retina MacBook Pro 15" (model # ME293LL/A). Specs are 256gb, 2.0ghz, 8gb ram, Iris graphics, late 2013 model. Purchased in June, warranty expires June 2015. Original price was $1700, new price is $1600, got him down to $1300. Includes original box and charger. Is it a good deal at $1300?

2. Alag28 macrumors 6502

thats a pretty good deal IMO

3. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

He came down almost 25% from his original (already reasonable) asking price. I'd wanne see a receipt, which he should have for such a recent purchase. If it works flawlessly, and shows no visible damage from drops etc., it sounds like a good deal. He obviously has no extended APP, which, should you decide to buy this laptop, I highly recommend you purchase for peace of mind. Good Luck!

4. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

I asked for a receipt, he said he doesn't have it, it was a gift (a little suspicious to me). Mint condition, no dents or scratches. I am contemplating AppleCare, although that tacks on an additional $200-$300. Maybe squaretrade. If only this one had the dedicated graphics card, like the early 2013 model has.

5. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I hear you about the dedicated graphics. Only that second tier of the 15" units has that. Also the unit he's selling was bought as you know, just before the doubling of memory to 16GB and the .2Ghz processor speed bump; and there's a remote chance, that's the reason why he's selling it. If he's willing to give you the serial# (a positive sign), maybe Apple could be of some assistance?

Here's a list of some recently stolen laptops (as well as some other computing electronics).

If he won't give you the serial#, I'd say run! If, on the other hand, everything is on the up-and-up, the $1300, even tacking on AppleCare, is still a pretty good price for that barely 3 mos old laptop. Tread lightly, and go with your gut!

6. Squilly, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

He did give the serial number. After the late 2013, it was the mid-Summer refresh right? That's the only thing stopping me, but even they don't use a dedicated GPU. Edit: didn't come up in that link or from a Google search. He's selling it because he wants a 13".

7. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I'll give you that link once more. It's stolen911.com and works for me, but there are other similar sites.

If you have an opportunity to see the unit, that would be great. From where I'm sitting, it sounds legit, but use your instincts.

8. bmwx12 macrumors newbie

Looks like a pretty solid deal as long as it's not stolen or any other funny business. It looks like they go for $1529 on the refurb site + tax.