Retina Macbook Pro Graphics Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsnuff1, Jul 23, 2012.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Every since I got this thing it has been having graphics issues left and right. Below are some images of what I'm talking about. Im running at a scaled resolution so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Are people having and similar issues?

Also iPhoto and other native applications have been crashing like crazy, never have experienced anything like this on another mac.

[​IMG]
    IMG_3175 by jsnuff1, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3284 by jsnuff1, on Flickr

2. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

Did you try and manually switch graphics cards? Regardless, I would defiantly take it in to the Apple Store.

3. playsontheleft macrumors regular

Oh dear lord. That's definitely far beyond the dreaded rMBP UI lag - if it's systemwide, either something is horribly wrong with the OS or you have a defective graphics card, which happens sometimes. Have you used gfxcardstatus to see if the issue goes away when forcing a GPU switch?

edit: beaten bahhhh.

4. kxfrog macrumors regular

Thats some bad artefacting you definitely have a faulty graphics card

5. BB.King macrumors regular

I have the same problem, this happened to my machine after wake from sleep 3 times in the last 2 days. I do have gfxCardSatus 2.21 installed. I've uninstalled this app, and will see if this makes any difference.

6. HighEndMac macrumors regular

WoW Crazy, sry about that. I would def take that back.

7. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Which apps were open? Might not have anything to do with your rMBP. Do some experimenting first... I think there were some problems like that mentionned with Chrome, but I can't remember where. Others will chime in to agree/disagree since I'm jogging my memory here... and I'm not exactly young. Anyway, hope it gets sorted properly.

8. Ismo macrumors newbie

I've seen this once in one week owning RMBP. It occured when I had several apps open and the last one which may have triggered it was some Adobe installer/updater. The problem went away after manually switching from discrete to integrated graphics adapter. I haven't seen it since.

To me this just looks like a normal bug in graphics driver/windowing system. Definitely not a hardware issue :) I'm sure it will get fixed in future SW upgrades if not fixed in ML already.

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

since this seems to only be happening to rMPBs i wonder if its happening because the GPU is clocked ~150mhz faster than the cMPB it seems like there is a thread like this with similar issues every few days...

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I've seen this before on the MBA forum here as well. It might have something to do with the solid state wake function. I've never had it happen to me tho.

11. Qbiinz macrumors newbie

this happens to me too, im pretty sure its because you have non retina ready apps running in the back ground when your rmbp goes to sleep. when this happens to mine i command+alt+esc and close any app thats not been upgraded for the retina display. when the right app closes my screen goes back to normal. hopefully this will be one of the first fixes when mountain lion comes out.

12. jsnuff1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea it definitely seems to occur during wake/sleep activity, and it does seem to be a software/driver issue than actual hardware. Im installing Mountain Lion in a bit and well see what those new gfx drivers have done.

13. deerfaced macrumors regular

As horrible as that must be to experience, it looks amazing!