Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Personally, I tend to support those in favor of trying to future-proof their purchase by spending the extra $200 to increase RAM. Sure 8GB is more than enough for most people now but if your keep your MacBook for 4-5 years you may indeed need those extra 8GBs down the road.

True but based on the OP needs, it's highly unlikely that browsing the web or YouTube will need 16GB.

OneEyedJack

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Apparently, it's much less important these days, as the SSDs now can stream anything. It used to be that with memory intensive apps you would get drop-outs and all sorts of warnings/errors. You just don't see that now. Most apps have been updated to stream off the fast flash drives.

Exactly the conclusion I came too when deciding. I stayed with 8GB and put the $200 towards the larger SSD betting that the SSD's speed would help smooth out any memory swaps that might need to happen. Very happy so far.

FWIW, I run Autocad, Lightroom, and typical office apps. I am not heavy into games or video production.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.