Retina MacBook Pro just arrived with ruined screen :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewkendall, Jun 18, 2012.

1. andrewkendall macrumors member

I ordered my Retina MacBook Pro about two minutes after the Apple Store came back online and it was just delivered to my address in the UK.

I've been really excited for it to arrive so I can test out all of the Retina compatible websites and software I've been building, but almost as soon as I booted the machine I could see it had been damaged on its way to me. The screen has three prominent white blotches which completely ruin the beautiful new display. They are the type you get when you put too much pressure on a MacBook lid, so I suspect that the UPS journey from Shanghai to Brighton didn't go as smoothly as it should have.

I'm just about to take it to the Apple Store so they can see. I was just wondering if anyone else's machine had also been damaged in transit?

2. bigalow macrumors member

that's a real bummer. what configuration does your machine have?

3. andrewkendall thread starter macrumors member

2.3GHz with 16GB RAM.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Just call the on-line store and explain what happened. They will arrange a replacement straight away, and also a courier to pick up the damaged one. Not sure the apple store can do alot for you, in my experience if you bought on-line, the retail store will refer you to deal with the on-line store.

5. andrewkendall thread starter macrumors member

Cheers, good plan. I'm calling them now.

6. hi-there macrumors member

Sorry to hear that Andrew... that must be very disappointing! Let's hope this is not a common occurrence!

7. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

8. jeopardy2311 macrumors regular

Keep us updated, and please try to post some pictures if you can!

9. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

They might not let you return it since it's broken. They might claim you broke it yourself.

10. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Doubtful.

Lets see pics

11. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

Apple have one of the best return policies that I know about and why would anyone think they broke a screen on purpose specially on a brand new laptop let alone an old one.

12. andrewkendall thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the sympathy everyone! I called the online store on MH01's advice, they are arranging a replacement and are going to call me back with details. Apple support have always been great in the past and judging by the replies to this thread so far, it just seems like I've been unlucky with this one. My main concern is the wait time on getting a replacement given the 3-4 week delay on new orders. I'll keep you informed on progress and get some pictures posted too. I'm going to try and make the best of the short time I have with this machine before they send a courier to pick it up, hopefully I'll be able to get all my Retina testing done before that.

13. houkouonchi macrumors regular

I think you will be fine. I read on another thread that a guy got a box that was dripping wet from fedex so he refused the shipment and he got another one sent out ASAP.

14. bigalow, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

bigalow macrumors member

I'm willing to bet they don't put you on the 3 week waiting list due to the circumstances.

PTer?

15. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

More like 4-5 week wait at this rate of supply.