Retina MacBook Pro Lag (2014)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhino89, Dec 8, 2014.

1. rhino89 macrumors regular

Finally decided on getting a rMBP (8gb/256gb mid 2014), but came across some threads on here talking about scrolling lag, UI lag, and stutters. I was hoping to get some feedback from owners on how prevalent this is, and what situations cause this lag if it exists - is just running at a non-optimized resolution?

Also, is this on Yosemite only? Is Mavericks smooth?

2. Praesto macrumors regular

I just got my new rMBP Saturday.

I have experienced some of this and have to say, if this is a decision factor, then don't buy it.

I barely notice it at all, and it does not bother me in the least when it happens. If you are looking for problems in your new machine you will find them.

Anytime you buy something and look for problems you will find them. If you want a mac and you want or need a laptop now, just buy it. If you don't want a mac or don't need a laptop now, then why are you asking?

Edit: I am extremely happy with the decision I made to get the laptop now.

3. rhino89 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not "looking" for it, I'm trying to understand it because I've been burned with iPad Air being laggy with ios 8 which drives me nuts sometimes. I just want to know what may happen if I get the Pro (I was originally considering the Air, but given no retina display I figured I'd go for rMBP).

Can you elaborate on where it lags, whether it's resolution-dependent, etc?

I stopped by the Apple Store and opened every single app on their 2014 floor sample and it didn't even flinch. I repeated the same experiment on a 2013 Best Buy sample and not only did it lag, the whole thing came to a beachball-halt and wouldn't respond to anything for about 2 minutes.

4. icsd08063 macrumors member

icsd08063

All fine here with my mid2014 rMBP, bought on October. Still with Mavericks though (waiting for 10.10.2 to fiannly upgrade to Yosemite).

5. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

6. crawler1975, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

I've been using my rMBP (mid 2014, 16GB/512GB) for two months now (bought it Oct 27) and the lag that users claim to experience is not that horrible. In my case, if I scroll down up and down a webpage (too quickly) - there is a very barely noticeable lag (i can't stress how minute this lag is :) ) - it will not stop you from anything enjoyable with your mac. I have love mine since the day I got it.

PS. I never experience any lag in gaming.. I predominantly play Diablo 3, Starcraft and WOW Heartstone.

7. emporiky macrumors regular

I've used one 13'' rMBP 2012 and two 13'' rMBPs 2014. They all lagged in Yosemite (with transparency on). The 2012 also lagged a bit with Mavericks. I am using 15'' late 2013 rMBP and I can definitely feel the extra power. Currently on Yosemite with transparency off and no lag (if its on you can notice some lag when swiping between spaces).

8. Praesto macrumors regular

The only details I can provide so far (I put about 10 hours on the laptop so far)
    Mine predominately lags when scrolling through some menu's too quickly.

It does not lag during World Of Warcraft or Starcraft 2 play.
    It does not lag using Microsoft Word or Excel.
    It does not lag in Safari for me.

If you have any idividual specific questions let me know, I will test for you.

9. rhino89 thread starter macrumors regular

One of the most common complaints I've read was that scrolling through PDFs is very laggy (a video I saw on YouTube looked pretty terrible). Mind checking? I appreciate it!

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

10. Praesto macrumors regular

I will be home in 3 hours. When I am home I will scroll through and let you know how it goes.

That is interesting because I have not yet tried scrolling through a PDF.

11. emporiky macrumors regular

Yes I can confirm that on all rMBPs I've been through, there is a noticeable lag when scrolling through a PDF file. This is the case especially in Yosemite.

12. rhino89 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you this a problem on apple's end, or did Adobe not make some sort of update to work better with retina displays? Is this lag on Adobe reader, or any pdf no matter how you open it? Like would a PDF in iBooks also lag? (Some of my older books are in PDF format)

13. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

There is a noticeable lag (but not that severe in my case) when you scroll up or down a pdf document. I don't have Adobe Reader though so I am not sure if it'll matter. Also, tried to open some e-books in ibooks and it was smooth between pages.

14. K701 macrumors newbie

I got mine from Apple.co.uk 2 weeks ago and have experienced no lag with anything? I have found it pretty darn snappy with transparency on. This is the first I've heard of lag issues. I've been focussing too much on the others (that mine doesn't have either).