Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2012 SSD upgrade question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Snake201, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Snake201 macrumors member

Hello!

I need to purchase a new SSD for my Mid 2012 Retina MacBook Pro and I was wondering if the Samsung 840 Evo 2.5-inch Sata III SSD would work? Right now Amazon has the 1TB on sale for $350.

Also, are there any other cheap SSD 500gb or more that you would recommend?

Thank you!

2. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

yeah that will work. even though that samsung is tlc unless you're using it as a scratch disk there is no noticeable difference down the road.

3. Snake201 thread starter macrumors member

TLC? Scratch disk? Could you explain to me those terms?

4. meson macrumors regular

There are different types of flash memory that are used in SSDs, SLC, MLC, TLC. In layman's terms, you can think of them as densities, and the more densely packed the data is the faster you can access it. The tradeoff is as the density increases, the reliability decreases a bit. Manufacturers will compensate and include some extra space that is used for redundancy allowing the drive to compensate for cells that degrade over time.

TLC is the densest and therefore least reliable, and will degrade a bit faster and have a bit shorter lifetime when written to over and over.

The scratch disk is a disk used as temporary storage, whether it be while some software is open, or for a prescribed period where a large data set needs to be accessed. Some software, like Photoshop allows a user to use a scratch disk. This disk holds data that Photoshop used internally while you work. By using two disks in parallel, the software runs more efficiently because it can read/write data from the internal drive while reading/writing output to the scratch disk at the same time.

The bottom line is that any of the Samsung 840 series drives are very nice, as are the Crucial drives. From Crucial, look for the MX100, M500, and M550. All are good drives. The M550 is the fastest and most expensive of the Crucial lineup, but the 500GB (largest size, IIRC) MX100 is equally as fast. The smaller sizes have write speeds that don't saturate the SATAIII, but are plenty fast for daily use.

In any case, a good SSD will make your current machine feel like a whole new machine.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I thought the Mid-2012 retina models used a blade SSD, not a 2.5" drive.

6. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

thn why is the op asking about samsung evo 1tb thn lol

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

No it won't. Retina MacBooks do not use a standard 2.5" or mSATA SSD. It's a proprietary fitment unique to Apple laptops of that era.

Two companies make third party upgrades - OWC and Transcend.

8. 0x100, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

10. meson macrumors regular

Yep, missed the retina part. None of the 2.5" drives will work.

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Because he doesn't know?

Transcend makes a variety of upgrades that will fit, but I don't know if their 1 TB is $350.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

None of those standard 2.5 inch format SSDs will work in your Retina. The Retina models use a "blade" storage device. Scroll down to the bottom of this page for the correct model Transcend drive for your machine then you can order if from Amazon. OWC also makes a replacement drive, but they use Sandforce controllers that don't have particularly good speeds with incompressible data and should be avoided.