Retina MacBook Pro - Mission Control lag w/ ML DP4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by advaitan, Jun 21, 2012.

1. advaitan macrumors newbie

Base model, 2.3GHz 8GB 256SSD, running DP4. Extremely annoying lag when initiating Mission Control. I know there are other threads discussing this, but I can't seem to find much on people running DP4 and having problems with Mission Control. Safari does lag a bit when scrolling, as do many third party apps. Any other similar experiences? I mean, using my wife's MB Pro 2.4 C2D is wayyyy smoother with the transitions/animations. Sorta starting to piss me off. ...but the display is absolutely brilliant.

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Threads like this scare the heck out of me.

Lag all over the place with Lion, some say Mountain DP4 fixes everything. There is no way I am paying $2000+ on a computer that lags on gestures no matter how nice the screen is. I am glad I am waiting to see if Apple fixes this properly.

3. doh123 macrumors 65816

i'm running normal Lion... but mine doesn't lag like that at all.

4. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

I honestly believe that every machine will be fixed with updates soon to come.

Apple will not want to have this bad reputation with the new Retina MacBook Pros when they phase out the Legacy model.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Let me get this straight, issues with beta software?

Shocking.

6. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

You seem to have a pretty short memory:

Mac Cube cracking
    FireBook
    Ti Powerbook Hinges
    iPhone 4 - "You're holding it wrong"
    Macbook Pro (2006) screen bowing
    Macbook Pro (2006) battery recall

I could go on...

-P

7. goMac macrumors 603

File a bug, like you're supposed to do whenever this happens in beta software.

8. advaitan thread starter macrumors newbie

I do think this is a software issue, just wanted to hear if others were experiencing the same issues with DP4. But yes, happy to hear that you're glad to wait for it to be fixed, it shouldn't be long and I'm sure you'll love the machine once the kinks are worked out.

backatcha.

What model do you have? What resolution? No lag at all with animations or scrolling?

If 'fml' because you're having the same issues, then I sympathize my friend. If 'fml' because of you don't approve of my asking a question in a forum, then I agree with you, fyourl.

I also believe software updates will address the problem, the hardware is more than powerful enough to push this many pixels as evidenced by its ability to push 4 displays simultaneously. Again, just wanted to hear others' experiences.

It's not that I'm surprised by issues with DP4, not at all. I simply wanted to hear if others were having this issue. It's a forum.

I filed a bug related to the Mission Control lag, along with many other bug reports for ML. But thanks for the contribution goMac.

9. goMac macrumors 603

I'm just saying... Most developers won't talk about ML here, no one here can do anything about it, Apple is the only one that could fix it, and it's not a final version of OS X and it may even have older drivers than what Lion on the MBPR shipped with.

There really isn't much point in posting in a public forum for help, and if you hadn't filed a bug and posted in Apple's developer forums, that would be a quicker route to go.

10. advaitan thread starter macrumors newbie

For those interested... I've gone ahead and done clean install of Lion (dev release 10.7.5) over DP4 and the rMBP is like a different computer altogether. The animations are perfectly smooth, both in Mission Control and Expose. Also installed Safari 6 Dev Rel 2 which has no scroll lag. So, I can say pretty confidently that these lag issues are software based. At least this is my experience so far...

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

No lag going into Mission Control or scrolling in Safari 6 (8535.19) for me, and I have several applications opened as I type. Retina 2.6, DP4 with all updates applied.

What applications did you have opened and what websites were open when you experienced lag? I want to see if I can replicate it.

12. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

I attribute it to the fact that it's still beta, and that the rMBP is still so new. Even with the new update, there are some issues. It doesn't feel as fast as my 2011 17", but that's the price you pay for having bleeding edge hardware on bleeding edge software. It'll be fixed before July.

13. advaitan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, definitely appreciate constructive comments on MR. But yea, it was pretty unbearable for me with DP4. I've filed 3 or 4 bug reports related to the issue and hope its fixed in GM.

Trying to remember all I had open... usually I run Aperture, Reeder, Read Later, Mail, Calendar, a few Finder windows, Adobe Illustrator, Notational Velocity, iA Writer, running BetterSnapTool, uhhhm...Spotify. In Safari I keep theverge, brainpickings.org, exp.lore.com, openculture, twitter, facebook, oh I don't know, probably 7 more graphic heavy sites. That about does it, still had 2.5GB free RAM if I remember correctly. Did several reboots, obviously all updates were applied, closed and reopened windows...

Now in 10.7.5 everything is smooth as butter. What can I say? Even in Lion, its an absolute pleasure to use. Here's hoping the GM fixes this issue for me. As for you, lucky man I suppose...

----------

I definitely agree. Even as is, it blows away my hires AG 15" from earlier this year... but then again, I'm a display junkie. Thanks for the comment Ishimaru.

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Well, I don't have all of those applications installed, but I'll do a little test for you- since I'm not sure whether or not it'll be possible to upgrade directly to the GM, I haven't installed many apps, but here goes:

I currently have these applications opened:
    -4 Finder windows
    -App Store opened, downloading two applications
    -Four pages of Safari, each with a few tabs.
    _a news page with CNN, WSJ, BBC and CBC loaded, along with several stories from said news sites opened in the tabs
    _a work page with two Google Finance pages and my work's intranet site loaded
    _a tech page with The Verge, Gizmodo, Jalopnik, Engadget and AnandTech open
    _a 'random' page with a few MacRumors threads opened as well as two high res image heavy sites opened (wallpaper websites), and of course the usual Facebook/Twitter tabs

-Mail opened, refreshing three email accounts
    -iPhoto with my photo library loaded up, ~1000 images
    -iMovie with a few short clips loaded
    -iTunes, ~5000 songs, music playing from a Genius playlist
    -QuickTime open with a 1080p video loaded and playing
    -VLC nightly build open playing a different 1080p video
    -Disk Utility restoring Lion InstallESD.dmg to a connected flash drive
    -Activity Monitor loaded- showing 55% CPU usage and 13GB RAM in use

...and yes, there is a bit of lag when opening Mission Control. It's not awful by any means- it's not buttery smooth, but it isn't so slow that it locks up the machine or something like that. I can't say when I'd ever open up two 1080p videos while editing a video in iMovie, but if you do that, you might experience some lag in ML ;)

With all the extraneous stuff closed, with only the Finder windows/AppStore/Safari pages/Mail/iPhoto/iMovie/iTunes opened, it becomes buttery smooth again.

At no time was there any lag in Safari, even with all the pages opened (I'd be pretty upset if those pages lagged Safari esp. since I basically run the same pages/tabs on my slower Alienware laptop daily with no issues in Chrome). Might be your number of graphical heavy sites that's causing lag?

Both 1080p videos played smoothly and using the UI was still smooth. The only lag was when opening Mission Control or opening the Expose view of all opened windows within a specific application.

In practice (for my usage) it's just fine, but I can understand why you might be confused as to why doing the same thing lags ML while running smoothly in Lion.

15. CUsurfer macrumors member

Do you think that same array of applications/usage would cause Mission Control / Expose to lag on a normal Macbook Pro machine? The only reason I ask is because I've performed some cursory tests in the store, and I noticed the Expose animation was butter smooth (read: no perceivable lag to the animation whatsoever) whereas the retina was noticeably not as smooth (read: almost imperceptibly so, if I didn't have the comparison, I'm not sure I would have noticed it). I realize it's a minor issue and most likely software, but my thoughts were that it could potentially be indicative of an insufficient on-board GPU, which is a bit troubling. I have a really hard time believing the on-board HD 4000, which was highly touted leading up to Ivy Bridge, can't handle the amount of pixels being pushed around that the Retina display demands, but I just can't help but be hesitant spending $2700 on a machine that may have a laggy UI. I think it's a reasonable concern, even though my intuition leads me to believe it's just a software issue.

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I do think it would lag on a regular MacBook Pro as well to be honest. I forgot to mention that I was using gfxCardStatus to force the machine to only use the integrated HD4000 graphics, and it still ran the two 1080p videos without skipping a beat (along with everything else).

I tried the same thing on my (admittedly quite old) 27" iMac and that thing ground to a halt.

As stated in that post, with a more reasonable number of applications loaded, I am not having any issues with performance. I'm very pleased with it so far. The HD4000 seems to be quite capable and yet still achieves excellent battery life.

17. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

So youre having bad experiences with a BETA software and youre complaining? Good luck in real life!

18. Morien macrumors member

No. He isn't.

----------

Wonderful!