Retina Macbook Pro not Deleting files, Low storage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by absolutmp5, Jul 8, 2013.

1. absolutmp5 macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,

I have a Retina Macbook Pro that we use in a professional photography business setting. The RMBP is having a problem of not having any space left. I have looked at all the files on the hard drive and have not found anything taking up that much space, including the trash bin. I have a feeling this has to do with deleting files via thunderbolt target disk mode from a connected iMac and the RMBP SSD not properly zeroing out the space due to the fact that the deletion request is coming from the iMac.

Is there anyway for me to regain this space without having to do a entire OSX reinstall?

thanks again.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Have you tried to "Erase Free Space" from disk Utility?

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

download omnidisk sweeper and check to see whats taking up space.

Also, Im not sure of the EXACT procedure because I dont have my mac with me at the moment, but click on the apple logo and select "about my mac" or something like that. Then the little window should appear. Then click on a button that says "more information" in that window. Then a new window should open, click on the "storage" tab at the top of that window. See what exactly is taking up that space.

If its "other" or "backups" go into your system preferences and check time machine to make sure local snapshots are turned off. This is likely what adds to "other" storage, if its not actually backed up onto an external hardrive via time machine.