Retina MacBook Pro owners, do you hear this noise on your computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bibyfok, Jul 27, 2012.

1. bibyfok macrumors 6502

bibyfok

Hi all,

I have a Retina since the introduction.
    I just notice a strange noise, that you can only hear if you are really close to the keyboard, near the O and 8 9 0 keys.
    Could you please check if you hear this when your computer is ON ?
    (Remember that it's inaudible at normal range, you have to be at 2 to 5 centimeters to hear it)

http://cl.ly/1m2W1S2C0o1m

Thanks

2. ZacT94 macrumors regular

What the heck is that noise??? I haven't heard it from mine. There must be something wrong with your rMBP. Maybe you should take it to Apple.

3. bibyfok thread starter macrumors 6502

bibyfok

I just found out that it goes off when i turn out the backlite keyboard....

4. wethackrey, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

wethackrey macrumors 6502

I kind of have to wonder why you have your ear 2 to 5 centimeters from the keyboard. You're not a contortionist with Cirque du Soleil by chance? If you are, I LOVE you guys! Not as much as the flying cube guy in Alegria maybe... and the hula hoop girl in that show, oh my GOD... but I digress.

I listened to your sound clip and heard two things: a fan sound and some random clicking. The fan sound is... a fan. There are two in the machine, their speed controlled by a temperature controller. The right fan is under the keys you describe. If that's the sound you're concerned about, don't be. It's perfectly normal.

The other sounds on your clip sound like random noises from you handling the microphone when you made the recording. If that isn't the case... if those sounds are coming from inside the Mac... then I'd be very concerned. It's probably one of two things: either the infamous Ghost in the Machine or notorious and possibly lethal Computer Bugs. In either case, the MacBook Pro is not safe. You should stop using it immediately! Carefully pack it in it's original box and send it to me. I'll send you a mouse-quiet and far less deadly Dell Inspiron in return.

5. deerfaced macrumors regular

Hah. bizarrely - if i turn on my keyboard backlight, I can hear a kind of fuzzy buzzing too.

I can't imagine it's anything bad... just don't sit with your head on your laptop.

How did you even discover this? Do you have bat ears?

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I was going to suggest a fan problem because the recording sounds very much like when you hold a bit of paper/plastic next to a fan so it clips it as it spins, but I am rather confused that it's related to the keyboard light! o_O Does the audibility increase with brightness or is it simply an on/off thing? Just trying to determine if the strength of current is related to it

7. jmp51483 macrumors member

Lol, this is great! Nicely done

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I was also going to say, something in the fan...but if it goes away with the keyboard light, it could be a bad connection or something else electrical. If it continues I would take to an apple store.

Mine has been so quiet its hard to tell its on. Except when I run games...then its like a freaking jet engine! LOL.

9. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

My replacement has the same buzzing when the backlight is on.

It isnt supposed to buzz, needless to say, as my original rMBP was completely silent. Infact the first thing I did with it was hold it to my ears to hear the new fan system.

It wouldnt be enough to make me send it back, but sadly my replacement doesnt close properly on one side anyway, so it was already going back. I've also noticed that the performance of this machine isnt as good as my original either for some strange reason.

Here's hoping for 3rd time lucky.

10. nataliamck macrumors 6502

I have the same buzzing coming from my keyboard.

I heard it last night when I turned on my rMBP to check something. I didn't have my TV or music on which is why I heard it. I heard it from a decent distance from the keyboard.

What I want to know is is this a fault or is everyone experiencing this problem? I should state that this problem is only when the keyboard light is on. When it is off there is no buzzing.

11. drflbe macrumors newbie

Same noise here

It started 24 h after my rMBP arrived. I know it's strange but I can make the strange noise appear by turning the laptop upside down...

12. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

I have that same problem. I thought it was fan noise. In a quiet room the noise is noticeable and annoying. I see a Genius on Monday. Will post my the results of the meeting.

13. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

My problem was fan noise. Choose to have the fan replaced.

14. RealEyes macrumors regular

I hear it too. It's not there when the backlight is off.

15. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Does it continue to buzz with the backlight on when it's not plugged into the wall?

16. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Had my right fan replaced today at the Apple store. Took less than 30 minutes. I guess some parts of the rMBP can be repaired.

17. maj3stro macrumors newbie

The reason can be dirt under the keyboard

Although this thread is a little old...

i had the same noise on my first machine i got and discovered, that it made the noise where it had a good amount of dirt under the keyboard, but only when turning on the backlight as enough pointed out already.

Two of the units i had to replace did that noise, although only on the first one (the one with the dirt) the noise could actually be heard from a good distance.

18. rprice54 macrumors member

Sorry to resurrect an old post, did any of you get this fixed? I thought it was fan noise too until I saw this post- turning off the backlit keyboard gets rid of the sound. I can hear it in a quiet room, plus I'm sure the electric buzzing isn't good.

I just finished two days of setting up my new rMBP- I guess it's off for a swap? Mine is BTO with 16BG of RAM, I hope they don't try to give me grief returning it.

19. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I have this, any advice, I can hear it in a quiet room.

20. Hpye macrumors 6502

it sounds like some one is using a vibrator, Mine is so quiet , no buzz sound. You should return it and buy a new one if you are in return period

21. lifeshaper macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the same noise.
    But then again, I've realised that that is the only time I will ever have my ear that close to my keyboard. Non-issue, methinks.

22. rprice54 macrumors member

AppleCare wasn't surprised or worried. I can't hear it unless my ear is an inch away from the keyboard. They said its only a prob if you can hear it from a normal distance.

23. musicelect macrumors newbie

I have the same electronic buzzing sound on my 15" MacBook Pro Retina. I took mine into the Genius Bar and although they couldn't hear the noise over the din of the store they replaced the fan on the right side. The problem persisted.

I finally figured out it went away with the backlit keyboard turned off. I haven't tried going to the Genius Bar again so I don't know if they would or can do anything about it. It's not very annoying as it is only audible in very quiet situations. My previous MacBook Pro didn't seem to suffer this issue, but it's spinning hard drive alone was louder than this buzzing so maybe I just couldn't hear it.

Mark O.

24. masterlopezz macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, any solutions without pass for a replacement?

25. rprice54 macrumors member

I haven't heard of any. I've got applecare on this thing, I'll probably take it in for repair/replacement at some point, but for now it works.