Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Listen.

This is a poor excerpt to put on the front page without any context or clarification. I suggest everyone who is actually in the market for a new MacBook Pro in the next 6-8 months should read the article. Anand awarded the MacBook Pro Retina a Bronze Editor's Choice award... the highest award he's ever given to *any* Mac.

Yes, future versions will address some of these little speed bumps, but they are merely pimples on a supermodel. Seriously, don't sweat it.

Listen.

It's kind of irritating to give your post an attention grabbing title. Also I think there's plenty of context in the front page article. Does this reaction have to do with the 'rMBP (Ordered)' in your sig perhaps?

marmotmammal

macrumors member
I'm not interested in seeing Fakebook at 1fps, let alone 50. It's the same bulls*hit at any speed. Very trite measuring reference for Anandtech, 'should use something important.

I don't know how the Retina fps relates to video fps, but if it's correlated, Retina should be fine for FCPX and watching movies.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
Hmm... This is a little bit frustrating. I NEED a laptop for college this year (current is a 08 MBP on its last legs). I'm most likely going for the MBPR simply because it's barely cheaper to get the MBP with the specs I want. Frustrating knowing Apple decided to ship with hardware that isn't ready./sigh.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, the uMBP is $400 cheaper than a rMBP if you buy the base spec RAM and HDD model then upgrade it yourself with 16gb RAM and 256gb or 512gb SSD.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Do you actually believe that the GPU is capable of running a 3D game at retina resolution at great framerates but cannot scroll a webpage at the same framerate? Do you actually believe that a 2D webpage puts more work on the GPU than a fully featured 3D game like Diablo 3?

This is not about the GPU. The GPU is capable of pushing even more pixels at really high framerates than that. This is simply the software and scaling algorithms. It'll be faster in time due to optimisations in software.

My 9400M in 2009 MBP can even scroll Facebook at 1920*1200 resolution at smooth fps. GT650M is 4-5x faster than 9400M and yet it is trying to push 2.25X many pixels. So basically the GT650M performance should be more or less equivalent to 2x performance I get from 9400M.

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I would say you could always (in rare cases where you see a performance issue you actually care about) run in 1440x900 and get GREAT performance, giving up retina sharpness for that specific task... but I don’t think there’s any non-hack way to make the new MBP run in 1440x900. (Other than for games, at least—they give you lots of res options.)

20 fps is practically a motion picture anyway... I’d accept that occasional “problem” in trade for the far better display.

Looked at another way... imagine if retina displays (usually fast and smooth but sometimes less so) were simply the norm for laptops. And then a new kind of laptop came along that was better: really super smooth framerates in ALL situations! But what if to do that, it had to disable retina mode and run low-res at certain times. People would be a LOT more upset about that! They’d rather have retina mode than an unfailing 60fps.

henjin

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
On the desktop front you are looking at a GTX 670/680 for this kind of power in 3D. I know this is on the 2D/desktop rendering side but going from 1356 shaders down to 384 and at lower clocks is going have a large impact.

1440 x 900 or 900p is going to be the native turf for a GT 640/650M

HP and DELL offer the same GPU from nVidia with 2GB of VRAM to Apple's 1GB of VRAM. I wonder if they had not had to limit the VRAM there would have been this problem?

But then the heat would have been a major problem as it is with HP's Dreamcolor screens.

I do not regard any of Apple's 2012 new MacBook Pros real mobile workstations but more suited for prosumer demographic.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Except for the fact that it's a hardware problem.
There's plenty that can be done to address whatever issue, along these lines, that people are actually experiencing through software. Though I'm definitely not seeing any real issues. Perhaps a few small things which can be smoothed up just a little bit, and that should fall in nicely with the kind of thing Apple normally does.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Listen.

It's kind of irritating to give your post an attention grabbing title. Also I think there's plenty of context in the front page article. Does this reaction have to do with the 'rMBP (Ordered)' in your sig perhaps?

Listen.

1334614999navi.jpg

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Are they measuring this using the Intel GPU or discrete graphics?

Thought animations etc were fine when the discrete graphics were being used?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I'm just trying to figure out why MR is posting a week old review from Anandtech. This isn't news... or rumors...

Maybe because not everyone reads Anandtech? Are you annoyed by the fact that MR published week long report or the fact that they published a report that exposes flaws in Apple hardware?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I would say you could always (in rare cases where you see a performance issue you actually care about) run in 1440x900 and get GREAT performance, giving up retina sharpness for that specific task... but I don’t think there’s any non-hack way to make the new MBP run in 1440x900. (Other than for games, at least—they give you lots of res options.)

20 fps is practically a motion picture anyway... I’d accept that occasional “problem” in trade for the far better display.

Looked at another way... imagine if retina displays (usually fast and smooth but sometimes less so) were simply the norm for laptops. And then a new kind of laptop came along that was better: really super smooth framerates in ALL situations! But what if to do that, it had to disable retina mode and run low-res at certain times. People would be a LOT more upset about that! They’d rather have retina mode than an unfailing 60fps.

Basically it should run the fastest at the 2880*1800 resolution due to no scaling algorithms being used at all. What causes this "lag" is scaling when you use different resolutions. Lion renders the page at quadruple resolution and then downscales, which is a lot of work on the CPU. But if you run it at native resolution then it should be the fastest possible. I hope that the retina resolution through the HDPI mode is as fast as the native resolution as well because that's what most people will use.

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Listen.

If that's all it takes to irritate you, I'd hate to be in a relationship with you.

And regardless of my personal vested interests, I was merely saying that if you read the article, which I have completely, it's not as bad as this post made it sound. It was semi-alarmist.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
I'm just trying to figure out why MR is posting a week old review from Anandtech. This isn't news... or rumors...

Yeah me too, I was reading this and I said, wait a second I was reading this a week ago at the lalo shrimp page....

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Basically it should run the fastest at the 2880*1800 resolution due to no scaling algorithms being used at all. What causes this "lag" is scaling when you use different resolutions. Lion renders the page at quadruple resolution and then downscales, which is a lot of work on the CPU. But if you run it at native resolution then it should be the fastest possible. I hope that the retina resolution through the HDPI mode is as fast as the native resolution as well because that's what most people will use.
For what it's worth I'm running in 1680x1050 (3360x2100) and the machine has been running beautifully (at least so far as I outlined in my comment earlier). So it definitely looks like at least this level of up/down scaling doesn't stop the machine from running extremely well. I can't speak for the higher resolutions. I tried it out, but I can't imagine being as productive beyond this.

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012
Why? A larger device will be able to suck up more power, have a more powerful CPU, GPU, and RAM. It will also be able to more efficiently cool everything.

Whatever modest improvements in GPU you are talking about will be swamped by the increased number of pixels required to get retina on a iMac screen.

bharatgupta

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
i was right about this, i still like the older mb pro models and this thing is just a techno showcase for apple it is bound to face these lags

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
So much for the full retina version of Diablo 3. If this has lag scrolling on Facebook, I can't imagine the poor frame rates it will get in a game at full resolution...

Probably should do your research first. It's been discussed ad nauseam that Diablo 3 runs at full retina 2880x1880 resolution very well, aside from some of the more difficult parts late in the game, where even there it is still playable.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
HP and DELL offer the same GPU from nVidia with 2GB of VRAM to Apple's 1GB of VRAM. I wonder if they had not had to limit the VRAM there would have been this problem?

Unfortunately yes they would still have this problem. Most likely it isn't VRAM it is 10.7's crap GPU (over) usage and underpowered shader processors on the chip they selected. If it plays better in 10.8 then there you go. EVERY user who has moved to 10.7 on ALL apple products notices a GPU slowdown with Lion. Why do you think so many are still using 10.6.8?

J.L.Photography

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
South Florida
Just finished with apple, unfortunately for me, apple gave me the "apple is doing the best we can" when I asked about any type of compensation while I wait over the weekend for delivery...

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I'm struck between two feelings here. I want to say, this is fantastic. To see Apple pushing the envelope again is great! Here's something that hasn't been done before and we're using the best technology currently to make it work. Imagine what will happen with future GPUs!

Then again, if the user experience is that poor, (is it? I haven't tested it out yet) then maybe they should have waited 6 months maybe and had a conference just for the rMBP.

In either case, Apple is trying to stay ahead and pushing current technology, and I think that is excellent!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.