Retina Macbook Pro Refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, Oct 10, 2012.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

So, before you all start telling me just get a Mac when I need it, don't keep waiting, blah blah blah, hear me out.

I currently have a 2010 15" Macbook Pro w/ 8GB of ram, SSD, and all that fun stuff. With the introduction of CS6, my cpu really seems to be battling, and 8Gb of ram just isn't cutting it any more. Also only have 256mb of vram can suck.
    However, it does work, and I can use it for a few more months, I just don't want this to be my computer for a few more years.

So anywho, I'm looking at getting a rMBP. Any indication/theories/etc as to when the next refresh might be coming out? Right now I'm looking at the base one but upgrading ram to 16GB and possibly the SSD to 500GB. But does anyone forsee any big reason to switch?

Thanks for any help!

2. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

3. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

There wont be any changes to the 15 rMBP until Haswell next year. It might be Summer, Spring, end of Summer...who knows with delays! Is it worth waiting for? Thats up to you. I wouldn't hold my breath though, just get it now if you want, its a great machine. :apple:

4. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Do a fresh install of your operating system and everything will be snappy again.

5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Hmm. Yea, if the refresh is like next summer, I'll just buy one soon then. But I wonder if they'd update the 15" rMBPs if they also release the rumored 13" rMBP this fall.....

But I don't want a 13" rMBP. It's too small.

6. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

I am holding off until end of this year to get my RMBP December 2012. I was like you I wanted to wait for Haswell next year but there is only going to be a slight bump in performance something you and I can not tell. Look at it this way every time a new laptop comes out theres always a glitch or some sort of issues with it.. IVY BRIDGE has it and HASWELL will most likely have it too...I would get the Retina thats out now...and if u think you need HASWELL then get it after you sell your Retina...Mostly likely you won't sell and keep the IVY BRIDGE Retina...

7. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

No. There are no new processors or GPUs on the market to put in them.

8. Cassadian macrumors regular

Yes there are...

9. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Speaking in terms of things that I think Apple would put into their machines that would warrant an upgrade, i.e. Haswell and the successor for the 650M.

What's out that they could upgrade to? Just a serious question, I really do want to know.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Every intel road map posted by the tech sites has suggested that haswell will be in the second half. I wouldn't expect anything prior to summer. Really Ivy hasn't been out so long that I'd suggest against it.

The only cpus that were released late were low end variants. You're most likely looking at roughly July of next year. The big cpu improvement was the move to quad options from 2011.

11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok cool. So really right now is a good time to buy one. Thanks for the help everyone! Now I just need to figure out the money in my budget. $2400 is quite a bit of mulah.

On a side note, who wants a 15" MBP for $1000? haha

12. Cassadian macrumors regular

Ivy Bridge Quad Core Refresh.

13. Exana macrumors regular

Yes, they are there : http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Intel-Ivy-Bridge-Quad-core-Refresh.82948.0.html

Only 100 MHz speed bump but in past rev, Apple already do such kind of upgrade. Take a look at early and late 2011 : 100 MHz speedup.

Apple updates Macbook Pro each about 6 month. Perhaps they will introduce a early 2013 Retina with those CPUs.

14. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

They needed to help the GPU out; even an incremental update there could be big for usability.