Retina Macbook Pro Refresh

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
1,308
0
Phoenix, AZ
So, before you all start telling me just get a Mac when I need it, don't keep waiting, blah blah blah, hear me out.

I currently have a 2010 15" Macbook Pro w/ 8GB of ram, SSD, and all that fun stuff. With the introduction of CS6, my cpu really seems to be battling, and 8Gb of ram just isn't cutting it any more. Also only have 256mb of vram can suck.
However, it does work, and I can use it for a few more months, I just don't want this to be my computer for a few more years.

So anywho, I'm looking at getting a rMBP. Any indication/theories/etc as to when the next refresh might be coming out? Right now I'm looking at the base one but upgrading ram to 16GB and possibly the SSD to 500GB. But does anyone forsee any big reason to switch?

Thanks for any help!
 

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
615
158
San Diego
There wont be any changes to the 15 rMBP until Haswell next year. It might be Summer, Spring, end of Summer...who knows with delays! Is it worth waiting for? Thats up to you. I wouldn't hold my breath though, just get it now if you want, its a great machine. :apple:
 

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
738
443
Do a fresh install of your operating system and everything will be snappy again.
 

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
1,308
0
Phoenix, AZ
Hmm. Yea, if the refresh is like next summer, I'll just buy one soon then. But I wonder if they'd update the 15" rMBPs if they also release the rumored 13" rMBP this fall.....

But I don't want a 13" rMBP. It's too small.
 

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
214
0
Toronto, ON
So, before you all start telling me just get a Mac when I need it, don't keep waiting, blah blah blah, hear me out.

I currently have a 2010 15" Macbook Pro w/ 8GB of ram, SSD, and all that fun stuff. With the introduction of CS6, my cpu really seems to be battling, and 8Gb of ram just isn't cutting it any more. Also only have 256mb of vram can suck.
However, it does work, and I can use it for a few more months, I just don't want this to be my computer for a few more years.

So anywho, I'm looking at getting a rMBP. Any indication/theories/etc as to when the next refresh might be coming out? Right now I'm looking at the base one but upgrading ram to 16GB and possibly the SSD to 500GB. But does anyone forsee any big reason to switch?

Thanks for any help!

I am holding off until end of this year to get my RMBP December 2012. I was like you I wanted to wait for Haswell next year but there is only going to be a slight bump in performance something you and I can not tell. Look at it this way every time a new laptop comes out theres always a glitch or some sort of issues with it.. IVY BRIDGE has it and HASWELL will most likely have it too...I would get the Retina thats out now...and if u think you need HASWELL then get it after you sell your Retina...Mostly likely you won't sell and keep the IVY BRIDGE Retina...
 

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
877
3
Yes there are...
Speaking in terms of things that I think Apple would put into their machines that would warrant an upgrade, i.e. Haswell and the successor for the 650M.

What's out that they could upgrade to? Just a serious question, I really do want to know.
 

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
6,772
2,056
There wont be any changes to the 15 rMBP until Haswell next year. It might be Summer, Spring, end of Summer...who knows with delays! Is it worth waiting for? Thats up to you. I wouldn't hold my breath though, just get it now if you want, its a great machine. :apple:
Every intel road map posted by the tech sites has suggested that haswell will be in the second half. I wouldn't expect anything prior to summer. Really Ivy hasn't been out so long that I'd suggest against it.

Any indication/theories/etc as to when the next refresh might be coming out?
The only cpus that were released late were low end variants. You're most likely looking at roughly July of next year. The big cpu improvement was the move to quad options from 2011.
 

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
1,308
0
Phoenix, AZ
Ok cool. So really right now is a good time to buy one. Thanks for the help everyone! Now I just need to figure out the money in my budget. $2400 is quite a bit of mulah.

On a side note, who wants a 15" MBP for $1000? haha
 

Cassadian

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
140
0
Speaking in terms of things that I think Apple would put into their machines that would warrant an upgrade, i.e. Haswell and the successor for the 650M.

What's out that they could upgrade to? Just a serious question, I really do want to know.
Ivy Bridge Quad Core Refresh.
 

Exana

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
219
0

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
1,845
0
They needed to help the GPU out; even an incremental update there could be big for usability.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.