Retina MacBook Pro Repair - Will I get a replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gwelmarten, Mar 2, 2013.

1. gwelmarten macrumors 6502

Hi

I have been having some problems with my Retina MacBook Pro 15 inch. These were: really severe screen burning, where text would remain clearly on screen after I had removed it, lots of kernel panics leading to unexpected shut downs and some damage around my HDMI port to the computers case.

I sent this laptop off to be repaired last week, and have now got a call from the repair shop letting me know the status. They have said they need to replace the 'hard drive' (which shows how much they know about technology components!) to fix the kernel panics and the display to fix the screen burning, which they are willing to do free of charge under warranty. In addition, they are saying the damage around the HDMI port is accidental damage that I will have to pay to have repaired if I want (even when I have proven it is not, and had agreement from AppleCare and the guy in the shop) but I'm tired of this argument.

My question is - with the SSD and display replacement, I am under the impression that the Retina MacBook Pro is not very repairable anyway. Especially with the display replacement, does this mean I will just get a new (refurbished) laptop from Apple in a new case anyway? Would I get the replaced case even if I don't pay for that case repair separately anyway, since I think they can not repair/replace the display in rMBP units?

Thanks,

Sam

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No, they can replace lots inside - pretty much everything in fact. The only thing that requires a top case replacement is the battery and/or trackpad. They're both simple repairs - the display is 6 screws, the SSD is one.

Also, I don't know how damage around the HDMI port could be anything *but* accidental damage?

3. gwelmarten thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah darn - thanks anyway. The AppleCase guy said it looked like an electrical fault or something - there was charring around the port.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Do you have a pic of it? If it's charring then that wouldn't be your fault - if it's scratched away at the aluminium that would be.

Little tip - ask them to process the repair as a trackpad/battery if you want the top case replaced, it's the same part but just cheaper ;)

5. gwelmarten thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't now change what is 'wrong' with the laptop now though, since it's in repair shop. And wouldn't they test it? Not sure I'd be comfortable doing that anyway.

[​IMG][​IMG]

----------

Also, it's the bottom case I am interested in - the one with the keyboard in. iFixit says the display repair is difficult don't they for the retina model? http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+Retina+Display+Teardown/9493/1

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Thanks - it's the top case you need (top case comes with keyboard/trackpad/battery). It's a complex repair (it's a complete rebuild), but it's not a long job - takes about 30 minutes if you've done it before.

To be brutally honest with you - I agree with their assessment - there's a chip to under the HDMI port that looks like it's been dropped (and the entire casing looks slightly warped?).

7. gwelmarten thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi

From reading online, it sounds like it's going to cost many hundreds to get the top case replaced. I however find this: https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_Kingdom&product=Macnotebooks which says battery replacement for £159. From what I've read, the battery is glued to the case. Does this mean the panel on the bottom of the actual unibody that the keyboard sits in and that has the ports? If I got a battery replacement service, wouldn't that involving giving me a new case?

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yep. That's why I said ask them to do it as a battery :p

On the retinas, the "Top Case" contains the casing, keyboard, trackpad, microphone, battery, and a load of cables.

9. gwelmarten thread starter macrumors 6502

If I were to not ask them to repair the case or replace the battery this time so it doesn't look suspicious, if I then took this into an Apple Retail Store, would they be able to 'replace the battery' same day? Do they, in this circumstance, just give you a refurbished model and swap the SSD's? How likely are they to have in stock that model as it was customised?

Thanks,

Sam

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

They never replace them with refurbs. They'll take everything out of your computer (speakers, display, MLB, SSD, MagSafe - everything) and put it into the new top case. They'll basically be rebuilding your machine into a new casing.

It's not a long repair (I can do it in about 30 minutes), but it depends on how busy they are, and whether they have the part in stock (or would need to order it in which can take 2-3 days extra).