Retina MacBook Pro Replacement or Repair (Screen and MagSafe)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kuray, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Kuray macrumors regular

I have Mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display.
    I have extended warranty with AppleCare.

It is 10th month that I purchased. I believe that I have yellow tint.
    Except yellow tint, it is perfect Samsung screen. No Retention or ghosting.
    I'm coming to the NY, US and would like to get replacement.

How it work now in Apple?
    1- Replacement with same model (Mid-2012)
    2- Replacement with newer model (Early-2013)
    3- Fix(Replace) only the screen

In 2011, I had MacBook Pro Mid-2010 and they tried to fix it.(Issue was about both screen+No WiFi). They said it will be ready in 5 days and it wasn't ready when I went to store. So they offered me MacBook Pro Early-2011.

MagSafe
    I have three MagSafe Power Adapter that have strain relief.
    Strain Relief and Replacement Program explained here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4127
    MagSafe 2 [Come with rMBP 2012 Summer]
    Magsafe [Bought from Apple US 2011 Summer]
    MagSafe [Bought from Apple at Turkey]

[​IMG]
    http://i.imgur.com/emZUKw0.jpg

I would like to replace those MagSafe adapters too.

What will happen next? I will get appointment from Genius Bar

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They will want to try to fix it first. I don't believe you'll find them offering you a new machine after the first report of an issue. if they do replace, which would be odd without trying to repair something like what you report, then it will likely be the same model. I don't think you'll get a 2013 machine.

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I would have taken the power adaptors back in to the store as soon as I could after damage. I've actually done this 3 different times and they replaced them, 2 for my nephew over 3 yrs and 1 for my wife.

The problem with both of them is they have the power adaptor to their right side, the connector is on the left and it severely bends at the Magsafe plug and they do this every day, eventually it will break if you do not fix the problem, which is change your orientation.

Same with the screen on your Macbook, take it back as soon as you find the problem or did it take time for this problem to show? The longer you wait, the more frustrated one gets with the problem and sometimes it is harder to get the problem resolved. Get them taken care of ASAP.

Make an appointment at a genius bar close to you.

4. Kuray thread starter macrumors regular

If they can fix in the day that they said, I won't have chance to request new one.
    2 years ago, they said 5 days and it wasn't ready in 5 days and I told them I have flight tomorrow morning (which was true) and I won't come back in US in one year. Genius go back to backdoor and come with new year's model.

As for as I know, they don't hold old models for replacement. I mean they probably have newer models for replace unit.

I live in Turkey not US. We have Premium Reseller and they accept warranty devices but they will only laugh when I want replacement for MagSafe and take my MagSafe for aprox. 3 weeks :) I am coming to states in this week and I will go Apple Store first day I arrive.

I believe that they will replace MagSafe adapters and don't think that they require receipt. I will just tell them that I bought 2 months ago. Also I won't take all MagSafe adapters in one appointment. I will go different store each time.

I am not sure about rMBP. I wish they can not fix it or fix it in the given due date.

5. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

i dont understand how your poor care for mag safe cords resulted in that amount of damage.

ive never had to replace them and they never got to the point of ripping or even close to ending up like yours

but whatever the case, they'll prob suck up to you and replace our magsafes without hassle.

your retina though, there gonna fix it, and it wont take 1 day. they have to order a screen and put it on.

can you post a pic of your screen? show us this "yellow" you speak of

6. Kuray thread starter macrumors regular

Both regular MagSafe's used more than 2 years.
    Actually there was little strain reliefs in both MagSafe's but when I use electrical tape to tape and secure them because of the heat the outer cable melted and become like this. Normally I was using with electrical tape for years and didn't know that outer cable will melt like this.

MagSafe 2 cable become like this 3 days ago. There was a little cut about 0.2 inch (0.5 cm) and become like this in 3 days.

The pictures of yellow is coming. Actually It doesn't yellow too much as others but I felt something. Maybe it is physiological maybe not. (Maybe I want to believe that it is yellow and get a replacement for new model)

7. Kuray thread starter macrumors regular

Left: 2011 MacBook Pro 15"
    Right: 2012 MacBook Pro Retina 15"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left: 2012 MacBook Pro Retina 15"
    Right: 2009 MacBook Pro 13"

[​IMG]

Center: 2012 MacBook Pro Retina 15"
    Right: 2009 MacBook Pro 13"

[​IMG]

2011 MacBook Pro 15"
    and
    2012 MacBook Pro Retina 15"
    have same Dock, background etc.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Chill with the bold large type. You got your answer. Go to Apple and have it fixed. You are not entitled to a new one, yet.

9. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

What are u doing with this adapter cable??? OMG...

10. Kuray thread starter macrumors regular

It wasn't that bad at first. After using electrical tape, cable itself melted or stick with tape.

11. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

is ur retina macbook screen samsung or lg?

12. Kuray thread starter macrumors regular

Samsung

No Dead pixel, No Image Retention, No Ghosting

13. Kuray, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

Kuray thread starter macrumors regular

I tried Apple Hardware Test before going to Apple Store.

Now I get
    "HDD/11/40000000 SATA (0,0)" error from AHT

I googled it and it looks like hard disk failure. I don't feel something related to this error but why should I get it?
    I tried it for 4 times. 2 for regular 3 min test and 2 for extended 1 hour test.

To add, I get CPU Temperature around 60 C (140 F) in just booted computer with fresh install.
    I know those temperature values are normal but it is around 60 C after couple of seconds boot time and fans spinning at %100 with 6000rpm both. Only Dropbox and gfxCardStatus starts after login. No Safari or no any other.
    60 C (140 F) at 6000rpm Two fans working.

14. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

yellow tint you can manage with calibration, have you tried that?

15. Kuray thread starter macrumors regular

I mess the screen when I try.