Retina MacBook Pro request! (gaming + performance)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeov, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

So, starting Digital Media this summer, i'm looking at the Retina MacBook Pro for video editing, photo, 3D and so on, and obviously it's no secret that it will run all that stuff just fine.

Though it is an expensive computer, i'm looking into selling my gaming rig (i5-2500k + gtx 560TI) to make the expenses a bit less.

Now, i know that it will most likely not peform as good as this mid-end gaming PC, but i am still curious to see how close it will peform, and if it will satisfy my needs, because then i'll just hook it up to my 100Hz gaming monitor and have an all-in-one-solution (and maybe upgrading to vidock when thunderbolt availability probably comes later this year)

i've already seen a few gaming videos on youtube, but most of them push the mac far beyond what it's cabable of (i don't want to play 2880x1800), so i have some requests to see the framerate of the settings i usually play with in different games.

Skyrim: (already seen the 1920x1200 on ultra video, and it looks great!)

High settings on either 1680x1050 or 1920x1200

Crysis 2: everything on high 1680x1050 or 1920x1200

WoW: ultra / High 1680x1050 or 1920x1200

now those are the most demanding games i play at the moment, i also play minecraft and CS 1.6, and most Valve games, but obviously those will run just fine.

and last, is the scrolling lag really that bad? i know people are discussing back and forth, but i saw a video of a guy testing it out and it didn't look like people describe at all.

Ps. i am aware that gaming on a mac is not anywhere near a full tower PC, but i don't really need to see everything on ultra at 2560x1600 x3, i just want to know if it will satisfy my needs.

it would be awesome if someone could upload to youtube with fraps running (to show FPS) but it's okay if you just tell from own experiences with the game :)

Thanks for the help!

ps. i'm open for any suggestions on my setup, i'm still debating with myself which setup i want during this education, if it should be a high-end retina with no gaming rig, or a low end and keeping the one i have now, or a completely different setup :)

2. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

My retina 2.3 with 16gigs comes Monday or Tuesday (supposedly),

I'll b sure to let the forum know all about how WoW performs on it, and SC2...

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

If you're starting this summer, what apps are you gonna be running for digital media? What 3d application? Barely anything has been updated for retina, and there's no sign of adobe coming out with a retina version of photoshop just yet, let alone the rest of the adobe suite.

4. Zeov, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

Zeov thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Well i'm not quite sure about 3D software, they will have some stuff to make games and such (i might have to use their computers for that, i've heard the software is way too expensive for the average student)

i know photoshop is a must.

Video software is whatever i choose, as long as i can be creative and make my own work, so vegas or Final cut should do it (i'll probably be going Final cut because of the retina support)

5. Radiating macrumors 65816

The 650M has exactly half the speed of the GTX 560Ti, which is hardly slow.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+650M

6. Blackøut macrumors newbie

Erm not really...

You say the GTX560Ti is double the speed? The benchmark also claims that the Gt 650m won't be able to play Skyrim 1920 x 1800... yet the retina can because it requires 3/4 of the energy used for the 2880 x 1800 for the 1920... so in this point actually it may be more comparable since it has retina display it is used to having a high resolution and 1920 is just a breeze compared to 2880 so I think we are not really comparing graphics cards at the moment we are comparing PERFORMANCE. Have a look at videos of games being played on the macook pro.:eek:

7. stueee123 macrumors member

I've only played crysis 2 out of those games but it is nice and smooth at 1680 x 1050 on advanced (you can try hardcore but it lags a bit with lots of lights)

8. stevelam macrumors 65816

dumbest thing i've read today. thanks.

9. gekoo macrumors member

Tried playing some WoW on Mac and the fans kicked in, same with Diablo 3. Went from ultra settings down to more modderate. As long as you have headphones plugged in it won't be a problem I guess.