Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgre

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2005
Basingstoke UK store have one in.. they literally just got it out the box.

I have to say its reallllly nice !
Will be ordering one as soon as they wait time comes down.

I do wish the memory was cheaper though !!
Apple.. come on RAM doesn't cost that much any more and you make plenty of profit on the machine anyway.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
That's quite a performance for a $2200 piece of machinery. I wish I had that kind of money.

My first Apple was an Apple III with 512K of memory and an external Profile 5MB hard drive. I paid over $9,000 for it. New Macs are relatively very powerful and very innexpensive.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
I initially got the 7-10 business day shipping. But i checked the tracking and its scheduled to come in saturday or monday of this week. Pretty excited! Maybe others are the same way :D

CJJflag

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
I waited 5 months for this laptop to come out.

There is no denying its amazing, but it still think its just a little too much for what you actually get.

I finally made the decision to grab a refurbed 17" top of the range pro (from the apple store) with a 7200 RPM drive for only £1600.

Really dissapointed to not have the SSD or the retina screen, but I think the one thing you can always guarantee with a mac, is it will stand the test of time and last you a good few years.

Be nice to have picked up a 17 inch before the dissapear for good! (and at a hugely discounted price as well!)

minimac93

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Shipped early?

I ordered a new MBP w/Retina last night (as in the 12th) when shipping estimates were 3-4 weeks. However, I got an email today saying that the computer has shipped from China and is expected to arrive on the 18th. Strange... at first I thought it was a typo and the Back to School credit was instead shipped, but the email said the MBP, not the credit, and it's shipping from Shanghai as well. So, I guess I got lucky and got priority for some reason. Anywho, I'm certainly not complaining!

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I really have to wonder whether this drop shipping from China business really makes economic sense for Apple. I bought an Apple Express last year from Apple and I was shocked that it was drop shipped from China. Since they have to be individually packaged, I find it hard to imagine that it wouldn't be more effecient to ship to the U.S. in bulk and then drop ship from here, regardless of whether Apple does it themselves or has FedEx/UPS do it. I wonder how much of the price is shipping cost.

I can understand Apple needing to air freight units to the U.S. at the beginning of a run, when the products are in high demand, but does that make sense when Apple has an ample supply of inventory?

Yes, they have negotiated rates with FEDEX et al, which nobody else gets because of their sheer volume.

The products are dense (as in not taking a lot of space) and not super heavy, so they can fit a lot into a plane.

Since many of the orders are customized, they don't want to do this in the US. Requires a factory, logistics and the machines are already open and somebody is handling them. Why unpack and touch them again?

Also, because of the high retail price the freight charge on a percentage base is probably under 5% per item. (If even that)

They bulk ship all daily orders, so it's not just one piece of freight coming.

Be assured this is all well thought out and has been calculated to the umpteenths degree.

Not only by Apple, but also by all other companies who do business oversees.

FancySauceRules

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Walked into Bridgeport Village store in Oregon yesterday to get a look at it....they had a few for sale but none for display. I got their last one for sale. Never heard of such a thing.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I ordered a new MBP w/Retina last night (as in the 12th) when shipping estimates were 3-4 weeks. However, I got an email today saying that the computer has shipped from China and is expected to arrive on the 18th. Strange... at first I thought it was a typo and the Back to School credit was instead shipped, but the email said the MBP, not the credit, and it's shipping from Shanghai as well. So, I guess I got lucky and got priority for some reason. Anywho, I'm certainly not complaining!

The hell?

I ordered Monday afternoon and mine still hasn't shipped.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I waited 5 months for this laptop to come out.

There is no denying its amazing, but it still think its just a little too much for what you actually get.

I finally made the decision to grab a refurbed 17" top of the range pro (from the apple store) with a 7200 RPM drive for only £1600.

Really dissapointed to not have the SSD or the retina screen, but I think the one thing you can always guarantee with a mac, is it will stand the test of time and last you a good few years.

Be nice to have picked up a 17 inch before the dissapear for good! (and at a hugely discounted price as well!)

Easy to install one, or if willing to remove optical, even two SSDs. As a bonus w/o the optical your 17" will be about a .4 kg lighter too.

The hell?

Par for course. Apple ships orders out randomly. There is no rhyme or reason except that it will ship out no later than date promised.

CJJflag

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Easy to install one, or if willing to remove optical, even two SSDs. As a bonus w/o the optical your 17" will be about a .4 kg lighter too.

Yeah, I read up on that and the two drives was the selling point.

Once I've got a few more pennies in the bank, the SSDs will be going in and the extra ram.

Hell of a machine. Don't think logic pro would have sounded much better with the Retina Screen anyway... :)

iceykola

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
I ordered mine a couple hours after the keynote, and the 768GB flash versions already said 3-5 weeks for shipping. My guess is the 768GB flash modules weren't ready yet, or they only made a few and they already sold out.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
I was given the exact same tracking information as the guy in the original post, left Shanghai at 7:51 PM June 13. Is there any chance I will get it before or on the weekend (do they do Sat deliveries)? Does this depend on what shipping I chose? Mine currently indicates arrival on June 18.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
I know this kind of story is common with iOS devices, but I can't recall it ever occurring with a Mac... Is it just me, or has Apple just used a trick they learned with ~$600 products and applied it to a ~$2K product?

Tim Cook's reality distortion field? ;)

----------

My first Apple was an Apple III with 512K of memory and an external Profile 5MB hard drive. I paid over $9,000 for it. New Macs are relatively very powerful and very innexpensive.

Its ooovvveeerrrr niiiinnneeee thouuuuuusaaaaannnnnnnddd! :D

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
That Fedex is amazing... Mine showed 5-7 days when I ordered Mon. I just checked the order and discovered it shipped yesterday from China and they attempted delivery this morning. :eek:

How do they pull off overnight from China? It's amazing.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
That Fedex is amazing... Mine showed 5-7 days when I ordered Mon. I just checked the order and discovered it shipped yesterday from China and they attempted delivery this morning. :eek:

How do they pull off overnight from China? It's amazing.

Transporter-based shipping.

ronwasserman

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Los Angeles
I sure hope the 1st gen retina MacBooks work correctly. It would be great if there we're no 'complaint' threads after the release.

Hoping QC standards are higher under Mr. Cooks watch.

David N

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
The Land of Milk & Honey
When will everyone realize that they always do this...

They say shipping is 2-3 weeks, people get all excited thinking "Oh my gosh, it must be so amazing if that many people are already ordering it! I better get mine before it's too late! *Impulse Buy*"

Next thing you know, it ships two days later and is on your door within a week ;)

It's all marketing folks, I would be very very surprised if anyone actually gets their machine more towards the end of the originally quoted timeline...

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I know this kind of story is common with iOS devices, but I can't recall it ever occurring with a Mac... Is it just me, or has Apple just used a trick they learned with ~$600 products and applied it to a ~$2K product?

There is a lot of people that were waiting for these updates... We been wait since November!

Inv

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
The hell?

Yeah, what the hell....I ordered mine literaly within five minutes of the online store returning and it still has not shipped. Thats f..in annoying. Stock 2,3/256/8 item with an adittional magsafe and ethernetadaptor.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Not trying to start an argument, but you paid $9000 for a computer that the average consumer did not have to have. Compared to their current equivalent, Macs are expensive, but, in accordance with my experience, worth every penny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.