Retina MacBook Pro Trackpad Alignment

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NR123, Jan 8, 2014.

1. NR123, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

NR123 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 15 inch rMBP which is a month old but I believe there is an issue with the trackpad.

There is a noticeable gap on the right hand side of the trackpad. It does not sit flush like the left hand side. I have had small objects get caught inside this gap so I don't think it's normal.

In addition, the rubber around the outside of the screen does not sit flush on the top left, you can push back into place but it only comes out again.

My question is do any of guys have this?
    [​IMG]

2. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

That seems out of spec.

If what you're describing is not the result of physical damage, take it to Apple. Compare what you're describing with a display model.

Just remember - the smaller the actual problem is, the less chance Apple is going to be able to fix it without inducing other "small" problems.

Example:
    You tell them the rubber is out of alignment.
    They replace the display case, rubber is now ok.
    Case now closes slightly differently than before.
    You tell them case is out of alignment.

3. NR123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply,

No it definitely is not because of damage. It was like this when I got it. My main concern is what you mentioned.

I don't want them to start taking things apart but at the same time it's not right. Ideally a replacement would be best, but I fear that it's just a case of exchanging problems for problems.

Otherwise the machine is great, really impressed with the flash drive and especially the display.

4. cap70 macrumors newbie

Good screen (!), no other problems. Keep it. The first time you encounter a real problem (if that happens within the guarantee / Apple Care period) you tell them to align the trackpad and fix the rubber as well.

5. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Mine has a tiny gap on the right side as well, can't tell from the picture if yours is similar... I agree with the above poster, I'd wait until when/if another issue arises before seeing about getting it fixed.

6. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

the trackpad was like that one on of my 15R's

It became hard to press and eventually was unable to physically click.

7. cap70 macrumors newbie

The gap on the right side of my trackpad is larger than on the left side too. I noticed it immediately. But hey, all of the trackpads of the macbooks I have owned were a bit different. One was not entirely flush, lower on the right front. Most were not dead-on center. Some were easier to press than the others. Some were slightly louder than others. Luckily they all did what they were asked to do. ;)

8. Vanquish22 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue about the rubber thing outside the screen.I think it is very common as few rmbp I exchanged before have the same issue.Nothing to worry about I guess.

9. GreyMatta macrumors regular

I had the same problem and they had to replace the trackpad which involves swapping the entire top case (includes the keyboard and battery) I mentioned a slight IR issue I had with my rev.1 LG screen and they swapped that as well for a rev.2 LG.

10. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

You have basically a brand new refurb from apple now haha..

yeah Trackpad calls for a top case replacement.

11. NR123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want to have it 'fixed'. When you take things apart, especially with this new MacBook line, they tend not to go back together as well as a new machine.

I would request a replacement if anything. But I fear it's a problem of swapping this issue for something else.

I think I will call AppleCare tomorrow and see what they say. It's less than a month old.

12. GreyMatta macrumors regular

Got to say I'm pretty impressed with the job they did on my rMBP it is just like a new one.

Although when I was taking it in for repair I was very apprehensive about the workmanship, as I had an old MBP slightly damaged by a different approved repairer. Wont go back to them again.

13. wheresmychevy macrumors newbie

I've owned 2 - 13" MBP's and 1 - 15" MBP and all three trackpads looked the same. Larger gap on the right side or unevenly placed. Whatever the cause it seems to be like that for a reason. I'm assuming ?

14. rljtiam09 macrumors newbie

I have the same one! Did you get to find out what the problem was, or if there was any problem at all?

15. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

I had the laptop replaced for other reasons in the end.

16. rljtiam09 macrumors newbie

Was the trackpad one of the reasons, or it was just normal?

May I ask what else went wrong?

17. Angriff macrumors member

I bought a 15" rMBP about 2 months ago and it had this exact issue with trackpad alignment as well as a lid that didn't line up well at all (it was like it had an underbite on the front, the bottom stuck out significantly). It also had a slightly pink screen but not so bad that I would've exchanged it over that.

The replacement after the exchange has a trackpad that probably isn't perfectly even but it's damn close and nowhere near as screwed up as the first one was. Plus it has a beautiful white screen.

18. rljtiam09 macrumors newbie

was it as bad as the one on the picture? the trackpad i mean

19. Brian Y macrumors 68040

There's very little they can do wrong by replacing the top case. The only thing is misaligning the display, but that's very easily sorted (check it before you leave, it takes about 2 minutes to align).

I doubt they'll offer you a replacement since your trackpad works fine.

20. rljtiam09 macrumors newbie

so is the trackpad okay? like is it normal? (like it's a common problem for most
    rMBP?

21. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It can happen. The only time you really need to worry about it is if you can feel it rubbing when pressing it :).

22. pablogel macrumors newbie

Trackpad not working right

Hi,

I have an issue with my MB 15 2014 (not Retina), the trackpad suddenly starts moving by itself and opening windows and do stuff as if it's been double-clicked.

I realized that there's a gap too on the Trackpad but mines on the left-side. When I saw these posts I thought that this may be the reason why it suddenly starts doing what I've described.

Does anyone else had have this same issue??

Thanks in advance for your responses!