Retina Macbook Pro Upgradeability

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abacus2039, May 28, 2014.

1. Abacus2039 macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm whether the RAM and HDD in a 13"; rMBP is user upgradable after purchase?

The machine would be used for commercial purposes for 3 years +. The option to ugrade RAM & storage is essential.

2. Menge, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014

Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

RAM is not upgradeable. It is soldered onto the motherboard.
    edit: SSD is upgradeable in theory, but it seems no one is making them for this generation Retina MacBook Pros.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ram is soldered on to the logic board, and while the storage is not soldered no one is selling a PCIe SSD for the current rMBPs.

To be blunt, the rMBPs are probably one of the least upgradeable laptops on the market. If you're looking to have this for several years your best bet is to max out the ram and make sure the size of the SSD is such that it will suit your needs for the future.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That link is for the older SATA rMBPs. No one is making aftermarket replacements for the current PCI-E models at the moment. If and when it does happen, they will certainly be prohibitively expensive.

To the OP, if you're planning on purchasing a laptop for commercial use, unless there is a specific OS X application you need, you would be much better served buying a workstation-class Windows machine (Lenovo Thinkpad, HP Probook/Elitebook, Dell Precision/Latitude). Those systems are upgradable and are available with warranty coverage for up to 5 years with full accidental damage and next-business-day on-site service, none of which is available from Apple.

5. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Corrected my post. Thanks for pointing that out!

6. Abacus2039 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been using HP Elitebooks for 15:years and been very happy with them. The only reason I'm looking at the MBP is because of the 16:10 screen. All HP and other Windows notebooks are 16:9 now , and this is unsatisfactory for accounting work, even after moving the taskbar from the bottom to the side, and so forth.

These upgradeability issues can probably be gotten around by electing for 16/512 specs at purchase (my existing machines are 8/256 minimum)

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Anything with a Retina-esque display (Dell Precision M3800, et al) can be set to pretty much any resolution you want without any blur that results from scaling. You can even pump it up to its absolute maximum if you can handle looking at tiny text. If an extra 120 pixels at 1080p and/or higher resolutions makes that much of a difference, by all means go for it.

8. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

You can upgrade the PCIe SSDs, there are quite a few of them on eBay from 'pulls'.

Barney

9. tuna macrumors 6502

You can safely assume that there will be SSD upgrade units available in the future but you can also safely assume that their prices will never be attractive.

Still, you can equip the laptop today with up to 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD and I would think that sufficient for most non-media-editing use cases even 5 years out.

From experience, I would say that Macs have a lot of "fringe benefits" as a commercial computer.
    -The software is all incredibly easy to service. You could teach a middle school aged child to perform a clean wipe, reinstall Mac OS, restore from a Time Machine backup, and make sure that everything is updated, in about 15 minutes.
    -Hundreds of thousands or millions of people have the same EXACT mac configuration as whatever mac you have, and a greater proportion of those users are digital professionals or other relatively sophisticated computer users, so if you are ever having any problem with a mac, you can google it and find 100 web pages describing the exact same problem on the exact same hardware with the exact same software and how to fix it. PCs come out with all sorts of changes every few months based on what parts are available cheapest to the manufacturer, and there are more customization options, so its harder to find support that's as accurate and relevant.
    -Most younger employees prefer them
    -enclosures are more durable and take wear better than the plastic enclosures on other brands
    -there is a unique serial number printed on the outside of every Mac that is much more resilient than the decals with similar info on PCs
    -Only 2 different formats of power adapter to power any mac laptop of the past ~8 years
    -standard MiniDP/Thunderbolt>X video adapters work for every mac from the last ~6 years
    -Apple TV screen sharing is the most reliable way to get your desktop up on a TV or projector without plugging in
    -Time Machine is reliable and more user-friendly than any backup solution available on Windows (and user-friendliness is a big factor in whether your employees will actually perform backups)
    -Mac OS whole disk encryption and Time Machine backup encryption are more reliable and user friendly than any comparable solution available on Windows

My company used to use Dells and it was a nightmare whenever I had to reformat one. I could use the "Dell Service Tag" to look up what drivers applied to that model of laptop but it wasn't down to the specific parts in my specific machine, it was only down to the drivers for all parts available for the model, so I had to figure out what components were actually inside the computer. And then I had to manually install the drivers one at a time. In a specific order lest I have to start over. With Macs I just create a USB bootable install drive and I'm 99% done.

10. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I only disagree with disk encryption. To my usage, I'd prefer the original FileVault which allowed keeping a decent guest account. The full-disk FileVault allows only a Safari "kiosk" guest account. Although I agree that full disk encryption is safer, I wouldn't need all of this safety since I take care of storing confidential information and tools in my user account. Of course NSA could scan my RAM memory for obtaining decrypting keys, but to my use, only preventing ordinary thieves from seeing my data would be sufficient.