Retina MacBook Pro vs iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyborg21, Nov 5, 2013.

?

Retina Macbook Pro 15'' vs iMac 27''

1. Retina MacBook Pro

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. iMac

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Hi I decided to switch mac beacuse I realised doing simple things on windows is a pain. But I am not sure which Mac to buy. Macbook's portability is a great advantage but it's screen is small and it's specs are low. iMac has much better specs but it's screen is bad and it's not portable. I will use my mac for at least 5 years. So which mac to buy. Please vote. Sorry for my bad english.

2. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

First: The screen in the imac is not bad, it's pretty good actually. (technically speaking)
    Sencond: The choice should be easy, ddo you need portability or not?
    Third: Performance wise, there is almost no difference. (both have quad-core proc and SSD disk, DDR3 ram, etc.. the graphics in the imac are faster for gaming)

3. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

I know screen of iMac is pretty good but it's bad when it compared to rMBP. So which is better?

4. MacScott macrumors regular

MacScott

This is one of those things that only you can answer for yourself. I have a 27" iMac. I like having a desktop with a big screen and a full size keyboard that I can sit at when I am doing my thing. I have an iPad to use when I am out on the go. But, like you, I am constantly wondering if when it comes time to update my equipment should I go with a MacBook pro. I would enjoy having a keyboard of some sort when out at the coffee shop (I bought one for my iPad but never carry it any more). But I think I would end up buying a Mac Mini and another big screen to use as a desktop if I went that way.

5. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

it's not bad! it's just not retina. Anyway, you dont look at the screen as close as in a MBP.

6. Akaba macrumors newbie

Portability indeed; and where does one intend to use the thing? If on a desk and one doesn't need portability, an iMac seems OK; however, I learnt a lot more about the Mac when working on a laptop, as I was just using it on the couch, trying things out, while e.g. my family was watching tele ...
    If the OP is new to the environment, he might want to consider the AppleCare for extended professional support, and it's related cost.

Basically - and I really do not intend to be rude - the homework wasn't done, investigating the options and their implications ... putting the question this way and asking people to vote ... you might as well toss a coin.
    Anyway, all the best.

7. dendowling macrumors newbie

If you get a MacBook Pro you can still plug-in a larger display when you are at home.

If you need to use the Mac away from home/office you should get the MacBook Pro.

But, The iMac is actually more powerful. So, if you're going to do a lot of heavy graphics or other processor intensive work you should get the iMac.

5 years is a long time to use a computer. If you continually update the system and software, and do more advanced work over time, the computer may not be adequate 5 years down the road.

Keep an eye on prices of used Macs like yours when it gets to about 2.5 to 3 years old. A 5 yr old Mac will have very little resale value. You'll be better off selling your Mac around 3 yrs old when you can still get good money for it, maybe $800-1000 if you keep it clean. And, use the money to buy your next Mac.

8. mslide macrumors 6502a

It's as simple as "do you want portability or not?". Answer that question and you'll know which computer to buy.

I disagree with that. Even if the iMac has absolutely zero resale value after 5 years (it will be worth at least a couple hundred bucks), you're better off keeping it that long and paying for a brand new one completely out of pocket.

Plus, we have no idea what the OP uses his computer for. My 2006 MB and 2007 iMac are still perfectly fine for web browsing, MS Office, iTunes, etc.

9. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

If your apps are optimized for retina, then go retina MacBook Pro. If they are not, go iMac. The screens on both are pretty stellar though; not sure where you figure that they are not. Specs aren't bad on either machine either; sure, there are PCs that beat it, but that's how Apple's Intel Macs have always been.