Retina MacBook Pro with *HiDPI* Thunderbolt Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smoothbit, Aug 4, 2016.

1. smoothbit macrumors newbie

For the last five years I've used an 11" MacBook Air with a 27" Thunderbolt display for work.

My eyesight is very bad and so for all that time I've ran the display in 1280x720 HiDPI mode, it's been a big help in allowing me to keep working as my eyes deteriorate.

Last week I was happy to get a 13" Retina MacBook Pro to replace the Air, it's much more powerful and nicer in every way.

Unfortunately, whatever I do I can't get HiDPI mode to work on the Thunderbolt display.

I can run it in "normal" 1280x720, but the text is very pixellated and when I zoom in using Control-Scroll (which I need to do many times a day) the result is often so blocky I cannot read the characters.

I fear this is a result of the MacBook Pro having a native HiDPI screen, and so the trick that allowed me to run HiDPI resolutions on the Thunderbolt display may be impossible.

I've searched on Google and these forums for a solution but have not been able to find one.

TLDR - Can anyone help me run 1280x720 HiDPI on my Thunderbolt Display using a 2015 13" Retina MacBook Pro? Does anyone know if this is definitely impossible?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

In System Preferences -> Displays, attempt to Alt-click the "Scaled" bullet. That should give some more resolution options in the list.
    Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 22.51.37.png Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 22.54.01.png

3. smoothbit thread starter macrumors newbie

That does give me more options but sadly none of them have "HiDPI" next to them, they're all blurry when I try them (other than 2560x1440 of course).

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Strange. Perhaps you need something like SwitchResX to do it then.