Retina Macbook Pro with Mavericks freezes

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by sergey19, Dec 10, 2013.

1. sergey19 macrumors member

So ever since I upgraded to OS X Mavericks I've been having a really annoying issue. Usually around once a day (or every couple of days) my computer will freeze. First usually one program freezes (like Google Chome or Microsoft Word) and then when I open up the Force Quit window other applications will start freezing (as well as the Force Quit window itself!) and after a little bit my entire computer is just frozen. I've found that the only way to fix this issue is to force my computer to restart by holding down the power button. I've tried writing to Apple about this (multiple times!) but haven't gotten a single response. If you have any ideas on what might be causing this or how I could try fixing it that would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, I have a 2012 15-inch Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

Thanks in advance!

I tried posting this on Apple's support forum but no luck so far...
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/24084589

Attached Files:

2. slrandall macrumors 6502

I also have a 2012 15" rMBP, but haven't experienced this issue. Have you tried re-installing Mavericks?

3. sergey19 thread starter macrumors member

Have not tried re-installing Mavericks (way too much work and currently do not have time for that). I talked to an Apple representative though that suggested I reset the SMC and so far (fingers crossed) haven't experienced similar issues.

4. jcapps00 macrumors newbie

Maveriks freezes

I also have the freeze problem with macbook pro retina 2012. I have reinstalled mavericks (about 5 hours work) Did not help at all.

What is SMC?

5. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Read this about SMC.

6. ultraspiracle macrumors member

how is your system performing now? I have 15" Mid2012 but not retina - Mav's is the best thing that's ever happened to it.

7. 82asmdf203 macrumors member

Gotta say my mid-2012 rMBP is running like a champ with 10.9.1. No real issues to report and if they were, I'd suspect 3rd party software is causing them, myself not being a user of Chrome or MS Word.

No clean install here. Just an upgrade from ML.