Retina Macbook Pro- Worth it over the default Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gata, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Gata, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

Gata macrumors regular

So here's what I'm looking at:
    (both are under student discount)
    -2.6 GHz/512 GB SSD Retina Macbook Pro (comes out to $2678 with the superdrive before tax)
    -2.6 Ghz/750 GB 7200 RPM MBP (comes out to $2134 before tax).

As of now I'm using a 2010 MBP with a 500 gig hard drive, 4 gigs of RAM, and the 2.66 Ghz dual core i7. I've got it hooked up to an Asus VE278Q monitor and run bootcamp w/ a 350/150 setup (Mac/Windows respectively).

Stuff I do with my computer:
    -3D animation/rendering with Blender
    -Work with Adobe CS3's suite, particularly large Photoshop images (under Bootcamp).
    -Java/C++/Objective C programming
    -Gaming (Fall of Cybertron, Crysis 2, Crysis, Team Fortress 2 (Mac&PC), Arkham City, and a few other titles)
    -School work (MS Office/Google Docs/Firefox/Adobe Reader heavily used)
    -Work during ~1.5 hour commute, and I lug this around everywhere.

For me, storage space at the moment is fine- I don't really have any qualms with regards to how much storage I have (though a slightly faster HD on the windows side would be nice), and the extra 250 gigs with the normal would be a nice (albeit unnecessary) bonus.

I also generally download/delete files pretty frequently (usually videos from YouTube for watching while I'm not connected to the internet).

Which would you recommend, the Retina or the default Macbook Pro, and would it be worth it to shell out the extra $544 to get the Retina, or would I be better off sticking with the default Pro?

2. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

I don't know if Blender supports retina, but CS3 doesn't, along with a few other applications.

If you do not mind the weight I would get the cMBP, BUT you should consider getting a SSD installed yourself, it would boost performance noticeably. That way, all the rMBP has is the screen and 512mb extra VRAM.

3. Gata thread starter macrumors regular

Ah. Should probably mention I run CS3 under windows.

I also do a fair amount of Handbrake converting, and given that my current computer feels a bit sluggish in terms of that I was thinking of upgrading.

4. ljnaum26 macrumors newbie

After working on the retina screen, viewing my old macbook pro is an eyestrain. screen quality wise, its comparable to switching from an iphone 3g to an iphone 4. Thats really the only reason to upgrade to retina, if the standard MBP screen doesn't bother you get that.

5. snoylekim macrumors member

You'll notice a very nice improvement in Handbrake rendering times coming from the 2.66 2010 ..Yes , you could go with the cMBP , add your own SSD and up the memory to 8 or even 16 g yourself .. that would get you close to the Retina you're looking at ..BUT ..once you start using the retina screen with those apps optimized for it , it's tough to go back , and it is easier on the eyes w/ office docs, text , etc ..
    The bump in processing power in either machine will help you in the animation, photoshop and Handbrake tasks ..

6. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

We honestly cannot tell you... It all comes down to preference. Is the $500 difference worth that amazing screen? You have to go to the store and choose for yourself. To me, it was a no brainer. The screen quality really is phenomenal. I cannot imagine downgrading to regular resolution screens.

Also, since you lug this thing around all day, the slim profile of the retina will be another plus.

7. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

For your uses, I'd say so. You sound like a power user and the rMBP is (according to virtually every review I've read) the best notebook on the market right now for that use. In particular, the rMBP would benefit you during your commute as a cMBP feels like a primitive brick after lifting a retina. It also has a higher clocked GPU from what I've read, increasing gaming performance, and the SSD will make a world of difference. Not to mention the quality of the screen is second to none.
    But it's up to you.

8. stevelam macrumors 65816

doesnt matter. in order to even use windows properly at native res you have to increase the screen DPI to 150-199%. this screws with a lot of dialog boxes that cuts off text/buttons etc.

9. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

I've found that using a lower resolution is preferable to using native and squinting/dealing with a messed up UI. It's not as sharp, but it's better than the alternative imo.

10. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

For a POWER USER, I would recommend the cMBP. Retina robbing some of your power (very little, OK). Sure the cMBP is a bit heaver and a little thicker. The slightly higher GPU, if true, will be insignificant. Power user to me usually includes personal upgrades!

BL: same IVY Bridge in both, same computer. rMBP had better screen, if that is what you need.

I just don't like the idea of being locked down with the rMBP.

Upgradability rocks. Who could live with just 8G Ram and why does APple charge $200 to upgrade an additional 8G when 16G is only $100?

The way the rMBP is a good deal is if it came with 16G and a 512SSD for $2200.

11. Tanax macrumors 6502a

If he upgrades the RAM on the cMBP, wouldn't the VRAM get higher since VRAM and RAM is shared? If it's like I'm saying, then all the rMBP has is the screen(and the smaller footprint of course).

12. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

amen!