Retina MacBook Pro YouTube playback (example video added!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iDutchman, Nov 11, 2012.

1. iDutchman, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012

iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm having a YouTube playback issue(on Chrome as well as Safari):

When I use YouTube, videos will buffer quickly and play fine with 1080P.
    BUT, it will randomly make the controls inactive. So the video continues playing and the timeframe stops and I can't select a different timeframe.

Or, the video stops playing and I can't continue other than refreshing the page. This happens with HTML5 as well as Flash based video.

It is very annoying.

I tried everything:

- Make sure I run the latest version of Flash
    - HTML5 or Flash playback

See this link for a video made concerning the issue (it's a screencast of a YouTube video and the dysfunctional time bar). Pay attention to the YouTube time bar. Completely dysfunctional after 25 seconds. The video however, continues playing.

http://www.4shared.com/video/Xk0ck2m4/YouTube_issue_2.html

2. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

While Handbrake is always taxing, i've found some of the same things with my rMBP. I switched to iFFMpeg a few weeks back (paid the 16$) and couldn't be happier. It seems to run and convert things without straining the system so much.

3. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick input. I know converting a movie file (especially a 8+GB .mkv file) is intensive and a resource hog for the computer. But you suggest that Handbrake as a program itself is generally more intense than others? That's good to know. I will look into the iFFMpeg. Thanks.

4. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

I'm not entirely positive that Handbrake is more intense, but it doesn't seem to run near as nice on this machine as it did on past MBPs. (enough so that it made me seek an alternative program)

5. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Topic is changed!

Previous posts are related to the previous topic! That problem seems to be resolved.

6. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

A real nice converter that I use for my mkv's off my NEX-5N (iMovie cannot handle 1080 60p, but only 1080 30p) is "Media-Converter".

It actually works pretty fast and you can convert to a variety of formats, the codec I use is the "Re-wrap AVCHD for Quicktime - uncompressed Audio" from here, which converts to an MP4.

Hope this helps!

7. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'll look into that!

8. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Resolved.

In terminal, I typed this string:

defaults write com.apple.Safari CustomUserAgent "\"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/534.57.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.7 Safari/534.57.2\""

This worked! It tells Safari that it runs on Windows or whatever. Therefore, I don't get the 'Mac Keeper' ad on YouTube will a stalling video..

Weird, but do you experience similar issues. This works.