Retina Macbook questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Decky, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Decky macrumors newbie

Decky

Hi guys, I'm about the purchase the 2016 rMB with the m7 256GB (don't need that much SSD space) and I plan to only use it for light photo editing (lightroom, applying presets to 24MP RAW files) and lots of PDF, Word, Excel and webbrowsing work.

I've read somewhere that this configuration would be equivalent to a 2013 rMBP, which would be decent enough for all my needs. However, I'm starting to doubt if I should spend it on this device vs waiting for the new rMBP 13". I have a portable desktop with me at home which is quite hig specced for my graphic processing needs, but I'd reckon that for the same money I spend on the m7 model, I'd be able to buy a 256GB rMBP 13" with base specs.

Ultimate question is this: I expect the new rMBP to be 1.2-1.3kg (I doubt it will be as lightweight as the rMB), where the rMB is 0.9KG. What I will be paying for is the portability. is this 200-300g worth it? I'm guessing that people who own the current rMBP/MBA who moved down to the rMB would be able to comment on this!

Thanks a bunch!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In my opinion, the premium for extra portability is totally worth it. The MacBook is so comfortable on lap and moving around in one hand because it weighs nearly nothing. I came from a 13" MBA and I have to say the difference is very noticeable.

I would save $ and get the base model. Only Lightroom is slightly heavier, but I assume you'll be using your desktop most of the time for photo editing.

3. Decky thread starter macrumors newbie

Decky

Thanks! I'm planning to use it for the next 3 years or so though, so I was hoping that the m7 would give me more flexbility there in case my desktop breaks down. I understand that the form factor is much better in terms of handling, but do you notice a difference when it's bagged vs your MBA? I do alot of walking with my laptop in the bag so I was wondering if 300g (which seems tiny) is noticeable.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Keep in mind is that the 12" display will be a bit constraining for apps like Photoshop, Its workable but LR flourishes under larger displays. Also it will be a bit poky in performance with LR

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

True, though I find that for basic culling tasks or minor edits it works okay. Using SwitchResX to bump it to 1680x1050 helps as it shrinks all of LR's panels. (though it's also easy to just hide panels)

I haven't found LR to be pokey. Perhaps rendering 1:1 previews at import time helps with that.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2016 ---
    I'd recommend researching whether the m7 will make any noticeable difference for your intended usage vs the m3. Especially since it's a $250 bump in price.

6. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

rMBP13 is 1.58kg, MBA13 is 1.34kg. I doubt a new rMBP13 will weight much less than 1.3kg.

rMB12 will replace MBA11

rMBP13 will replace MBA13

Air line will disappear slowly. Prob why they didn't refresh it with retina display

I had a rMBP13 moved to rMB12, the weight is very noticeable when traveling.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Agreed. I went from a 2011 MBA13 to my rMB12. After using the rMB the MBA13 felt huge. I carry my rMB in an Incase Icon sleeve in my bag and it's barely noticeable. I've carried it on trips that I wouldn't have bothered carrying my MBA on and been glad for it.

You DO need to ask yourself if you're okay with the compromises you're making to gain that size and weight advantage. The retina Macbook is NOT suitable for everyone.