Retina macbook SD card reading issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by josh bear, Apr 17, 2016.

1. josh bear macrumors regular

Hi all,

Just noticed some strange behaviour on my mac book and would appreciate any help.

I placed an SD card from my camera into a USB 3 SD card reader which was plugged into the apple power / HDMI / USB - usb c connector. Nothing happened. Photos did not open and the card did not appear on the desk top.

I moved the exact same card in the exact same card reader to a USB port on my iMac and photos opened and the card showed up. I then tried the apple single usb to usb -c adaptor and plugged the sd card reader and card into that. Same issue with the card.

Finally I tried a third party usb to usb-c adapter and plugged the card reader and card into the macbook and photos opened and the card appeared on the desktop.

So why would a third party connector work but the apple ones wouldn't.

Thanks

Josh

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

3. josh bear thread starter macrumors regular

update. Just used the apple three way adapter with a usb HD and that doesn't show either
    hi, thanks. but I have two from apple and neither worked.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

That's a rather key bit of info to forget to mention.

The best help is achieved by stating ALL relevant facts when asking for assistance.

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Did you try rebooting while leaving the card reader connected?

6. josh bear thread starter macrumors regular

Hi deedawg

It was stated in my description i.e. where i talked about using the apple power / HDMI / USB - usb c connector then the apple single usb to usb -c adaptor

Boast - thanks for the suggestion just tried that and it worked. Thanks

Josh

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Whoops, I guess you did, although it was not at all clear. I completely missed the differentiation and thought you were talking about trying the first one again in the iMac.