Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richimgd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Leeds
Hi there,

I have recently got a new retina macbook. I'm really pleased with it apart from some software needs to catch up to make use of the display - its getting there though as more and more software is becoming optimised.

I have managed to connect it to my Sony HDTV with HDMI which is fine - but I would like to know how to set it up so I can use the HDMI output as the primary display and ideally switch off the macbook display or even close the lid also without it shutting the system down. I.e if I wanted to watch a film or do a presentation on the tv there would be no reason to need to have the macbooks screen on since I wouldn't be able to see it when sitting at a position to watch the TV.

I use a 2009 MBP at work and have a 23in Cinema display plugged in with a mini display port and like how I can close the MBP and just use the cinema display. Also it is setup so the Cinema display (being the bigger screen) is primary with the dock and menu bar etc.

If anyone can help me setup something similar with my retina mbp but with the HDMI output that would be great as there is a lot I dont know about OSX so not sure if I am missing something. By the way I am running 10.8.1

richimgd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Leeds
Cool cheers.

I notice you have an Apple TV. This is something else I might consider getting. Have to tried/used the Wireless mirroring feature to share your mac screen with your tv? Seems ideal for what I am wanting to do...

Cheers

richimgd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Leeds
Managed to get it working fine following the link.

Not sure what SwitchResX is and how it would help me? I went on their site and it doesn't appear to be up to date in terms of OSX version...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.