Retina Matte Option - A Reminder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by datapusher, Jun 14, 2012.

?

Do you think Apple will offer a Matte Retina NextGen Macbook Pro

Poll closed Jun 24, 2012.
  1. Why Yes I do

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Nope

25 vote(s)
    75.8%
  1. datapusher macrumors newbie

Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall that Apple introduced a Glossy only Macbook Pro a while back. They made the claim that Matte would no longer be an option. A bunch of people complained and they rereleased the same model with the Matte option (glass removed). Like I said, I could be wrong, but I have a pretty strong recollection of this. It may have been when the unibodies were first announced.

Any speculation on wether or not they might pull the same maneuver here? Introduce a Anti Glare/Matte option in the coming months.

Did a search and didn't find anything with this question so I posted. My apologies if it has been asked here before.

Thanks

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The Unibody Macbook Pro was released in October 2008 with no option other than the glossy/glass display. They added the antiglare option in June 2009 IIRC.

I definitely think that the same could happen here. It's not a sure thing, the 13" Macbook Pro has never had an antiglare option.

Maybe it will happen down the road when they eventually discontinue the thicker Macbook Pro models and make the Retina MBP the only one.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Going back from super glossy glass to standard glossy is no substitute for matte.
    I wouldn't put it past Apple to stick with glossy only, but I think and hope a matte will show.

Currently I guess they can just handle the current demand and it wasn't needed to deliver options at the moment.
    When the 13" retina shows and the supply for those panels is better, I think there is a good chance matte will resurface.
    Samsung is all committed to matte screens, I like that. As they with their Series 7/9 seem to be most serious competition outside of the Ultrabook market, I don't think Apple will want to hand them customers who really care about matte screens.
    I think the number of matte fans is significant enough.

4. datapusher thread starter macrumors newbie

Checked out the retina today at the AS today. The thing is definately glossy. no denying that at all! Odd thing was it didn't bug me like it normally does. But that was in a store that has probably engineered the ideal lighting scenario for their products. Not to mention i was only there for 30 minutes so take my findings with a grain of salt.

5. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Granted, it's still a glossy, it's just less glossy than normal. Since I use my MBPR mostly indoors, though, glare isn't that big of an issue here.

6. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

The way they engineered the display to be part of the unibody, I doubt it will be available.

It is supposed to be less glossy though. And, apple stores do have specifically designed lighting to recreate what you see in their ads and other promotional material.