Retina MBP audio glitching

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ggabriele3, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ggabriele3 macrumors member

On my rMBP, the audio will periodically 'glitch'. momentary bits of static. This happens with internal speakers and headphones. It will continue until I restart.

It usually goes away if I restart, but will inevitably come back. The audio itself sounds good, it's just the occasional glitch that pops in.

How would you troubleshoot this?

2. Lexical macrumors regular

I have had this same problem. I have found that it is to do with the graphics switching on the rMBP. Sometimes when the switch happens it messes up the audio. It also makes typing a bit laggy as well. The only way to fix it is to force the machine to use the 650m until you restart, or restart. You can force it to stay on the 650 all the time if you want.

Us an app called 'gfxcardstatus' to monitor what card your on and force it to switch.

It is really annoying and i hope they fix it soon with 10.8.3.

3. ggabriele3 thread starter macrumors member

interesting. I just went to Energy settings and unchecked "allow graphics switching". immediate glitch sound. then i waited a minute and turned it back on. another glitch sound.

This is emblematic of my experience with Apple Rev. A hardware. beautiful, innovative, but with lots of bugs that you just have to wait to fix. at least I know what it is now. thank you!

4. Lexical macrumors regular

Haha its hard to explain but...

Say you're using HD4000, it switches to 650m and now you have sound glitches. You either force it to use 650m and you should be ok, or you restart. Same other way around.

It is so annoying! I don't like it because it makes typing laggy as well. I have no idea why? Infact I've noticed that performance in things like web browsing seems better with the HD4000 anyway? Stupid isn't it! Hopefully they fix issues like this soon. Its annoying but not a major issue. Its so quick restarting anyway its not a massive problem!