Retina MBP crashing every 3-5 minutes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acrafton, Jun 15, 2012.

1. acrafton, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

acrafton macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2006
    So. . loaded up the new MBP last night and trying to use it this morning but can't. It freezes up every 3-5 minutes and either restarts itself or I must restart it. About half the time the screen is scrambled as a result of the crash. I removed all startup items to no avail.

Totally unusable.

Any ideas before I head to the Apple Store?

All updates have been applied.

** Solved ** see below
  2. Phazer macrumors member

May 19, 2010
    London, UK
    does the fan turn on?
    I'd just go to the Apple Store without even start fiddling about with it.
  3. funnoam macrumors member

Aug 7, 2011
  4. klover macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2009
    Do a full restore. If it continues, take it to Apple.
  5. johnhalsted macrumors member

Nov 3, 2010
    Format it, it's probably some corrupt driver or something, failing that take it back, not a huge problem, but huge inconvenience :(
  6. daleski75 macrumors 68000

Dec 10, 2008
    Northampton, UK
    Try to reset the PRAM first before wiping it.
  7. protalk macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2007
    similar problem

Locks up every 3-5 minutes -- went to Apple Store, they deleted a couple files that had been moved via Migration Assistant, and said everything would be fine. Got home and continued to have the problem. Wiped everything -- installed new system software -- STILL having the problem. Back to Genius Bar today. Just like other poster said about his, my new MBP is totally unusable.
  8. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Take it back to apple :(

Sorry to hear that your MBP is having problems.
  9. acrafton thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2006
    ** Solved **

I spent a few hours with genius bar folks and while they were certain it was hardware, the more we chatted the more I/we realized that it must be a software conflict. Each time I had formatted, etc, I immediately went to the migration tool rather than see if it would work with just the base OS and manually install/move stuff.

Well, that solved it. I formatted, installed the OS and no crashes. I then started installing apps and moving my stuff over MANUALLY and no crashes. I am now 2 days and it works fine.

So.. .there was something on my old system that was causing a conflict.
  10. iFanboy Guest

On OSX, Windows and Linux, I ALWAYS do a complete reformat and install.

My MBPR is coming with Lion, but as soon as I download Mountain Lion to USB I am doing a full disk format and installing Mountain Lion from USB.

That's the only way to minimise the chance of software problems.