Retina MBP display: Too glossy (actually saw it now)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by therealseebs, Jun 13, 2012.

1. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

So, people told me I should go look at one. I did.

This display is shiny and reflective enough that you can easily read dark grey text on a pale grey background reflected in it. The demo unit was positioned sort of awkwardly, so it wasn't easy to do a lot of comparisons, but you could clearly see reflections in it, and they were clear enough to be read.

Here's the thing. It may well be reflecting less light than the older models -- but it is still fundamentally a mirror-like reflective surface. So the reflections might be dim, but... This is an IPS display. The display is supposed to be offering at least the equivalent of 24 bit color. So the range of difference between the brightest and next-brightest white the display has to offer is 1/255 of the total brightness of the display. And while the reflections may not be very bright, they are a heck of a lot brighter than a #010101 grey would be. Which is to say, the reflections completely wipe out the nominal color/brightness fidelity of the display.

It's still a reflective, glossy, surface. A light source that you can see reflected in it is still going to be clearly visible -- I tried with the weakest, most pathetic, little LED flashlight money can buy, and it was brighter than the difference between black and white on the display. It's still going to be really easy to see the environment behind you, and if that environment isn't an even matte black, you will be able to pick out objects and such that are in the environment, not in the display.

And for me, at least, that means eyestrain and pain, and means I'm going to keep on waiting for a non-glossy display.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's what I plan to do when I have time. Even though Apple claims a 75% reduction in glare, I'll decide that for myself. Thanks for your report.