Retina MBP for heavy FCP + AE?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ThomasJBeld, Sep 25, 2012.

1. ThomasJBeld macrumors newbie

I'm posting here because i need some advice on weather a MacBook Pro Retina would be a good Machine for heavy video editing and after effects.
    I haven't really found anything useful on the net regarding this topic so I'm hoping that someone with a RMBP could give me advice.

Currently I'm torn between the base model of the RMBP with 16GB of RAM or the MBP with 2.6 Ghz. They both have the same graphics Card. The reason that I'm asking is because i'm a little afraid that the graphics-card of the RMBP has already to much to do driving the display and therefore hasn't got as much resources left for use in FCP or AE. Some videos even show the lag there is when scrolling in safari.

The RMBP + 16GB Ram would be 2.479€
    The MBP with 2.6GHz + matte screen + 16GB Ram from Corsair + Corsair Force GT SSD would be 2.667€

It's kind off weird to be paying more for an older Model but if the benefit in performance is big i would go for it.
    As an video editor i don't really care about the Retina-screen and i don't mind that the older MBP is heavier. All I'm going for is raw performance.

So can anyone help me out on this decision?

2. joeysarks macrumors regular

I'm wondering this myself. I have seen some vids on YouTube with people streaming in HD though, and importing/exporting vids with lightening speeds. I think it's good for it, especially if u don't have to record in uncompressed to the internal SSD since that would kill the hard drive fast.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

Currently most pros testing the Retina on heavy duty apps such as Resolve are commenting big time on how it handles big projects.
    Project that would have never been touched with older MBP.
    I ordered my work Retina weeks ago, still waiting.
    Purchased a Sonnet Echo Express Pro for it ;)

4. MrPlayer66 macrumors member

I'd recommend it.

I've been using mine for a couple months now(Base model 2.3 i7 8GB RAM) with FCP7, FCPX, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 &6, and Avid media composer 6.x. And I gotta say I enjoy editing on it, when I'm home I either use the laptop's screen or an external monitor and when I'm out on the field I mostly use the laptop's screen, I've been able to handle AVCHD and XDCAM footage without any problems, FCPX flies on this thing and the UI looks great, rendering effects and footage on FCP7 very fast and so does Premiere Pro. Avid MC works great on the machine, it works better than on my 21.5 2011 iMac with 16GB or RAM. I've also rendered some compositions using After Effects CS6 and while it definitely makes the laptop's fans turn on it wasn't anything it couldn't handle, if you decide to get the upgraded model I can honestly say you'd be very satisfied with it.

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I'm looking at the 15inch 2.6Ghz (2,199 USD) and the 15inch Retina (2,799 USB) the specs aside from the resolution look the same albeit the SSD. If I were to grab a 15inch non-retina wouldn't it in theory be able to put more of the GPU into intensive video editing apps?

I mean I love the idea of Retina....I was thinking of this when the iPhone came out with it, you could take RAW Arri Alexa footage and watch it pixel for pixel and watch R3DCODE with more accuracy (although 2.8K for a 15inch display is allot!)....I just think that if I'm say doing a rough cut of some 4K I would want every ounce of computer keeping things close to or in real time and that I could wait tell I got home/work to hook the computer to a higher resolution display....

I'm not in the market for a new computer BUT I may be by necessity soon and I keep hearing allot about the Retina but I want maximum performance out of my laptop as it is my ONLY computer for the time being.

6. ThomasJBeld thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats why I'm probably gonna take the non retina and throw a SSD and 16GB of ram at it!
    What's more is that the matte 15 inch comes already with a screen of 1680 x 1050 so that's definitely the screensres I'll want to work with. On the retina, setting he screen to that resolution, he graphics card has to render it at twice the resolution and than scales it down, using even more graphics power!

Thats to much graphics resources put just into the display for my taste.

7. mBox macrumors 68020

Cant beat the option to output to multiple displays with the Retina.
    its been proven professionally that the Retina tech pushes hard-core graphic apps to a higher level.
    Since we're stuck with a 15" display, I welcome attaching a 27" and up display to this baby :)

8. ThomasJBeld thread starter macrumors newbie

How can that be? The graphics are exactly the same as in the non Retina model. I don't see how a display with higher pixel density pushes "hard-core graphic apps" to a higher level.

9. ThomasJBeld thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I guess if it was mentioned in the start that it was ok to tear apart a new laptop then I would have mentioned the non-Retina MBP as a starting point :cool: For expansion that is what I would do as long as the warranty wasn't an issue.

If I was keeping my 17" MBP I would go this route using the data doubler.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Thats what I thought haha. 1680x1050 is plenty for me on a laptop....If I need 2K+ Ill plug in an external display....performance takes priority over resolution ANY day in my book when it comes to your computer....cool you can see pictures at 45%~ native resolution...Idk I think its cool but again I want a laptop that can crunch through as much HD video editing as possible and you can never have too much resolution. I really don't think people understand power users..lol