Retina MBP Lion Install Size

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ApplePu, Jun 27, 2012.

1. ApplePu macrumors regular

I did a full lion recovery on my new rmbp. is it normal that just osx with its standard apps takes about 24gb on the ssd? info shows 499gb available, 475gb free...is this because everything is at higher res? thanks!

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Try this:
    http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110831105634716

Then post the InstallESD.dmg size.

Probably just local Time Machine backups.

3. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

no, no backups involved. I've done it the same way as on any other mac I own. before recovery the 512gb ssd shows 499gb free and after successful installation it shows only 475gb...

4. LeGacY X macrumors member

LeGacY X

Perhaps higher resolution programs and UI elements are taking up more space on the install. I don't have a rMBP, so I can't say the install size for sure.

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

6. ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

any idea why it is like that? i could understand if it is about the ui, but 24gb? that's pretty huge!

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I don't think you can do an internal time machine backup? Would sort of defeat the purpose too, if your hard drive fails, your backup would fail along with it :p

OP, 24GB sounds about right. It's not huge at all, it's the right size for most modern operating systems. You can go to About This Mac > More Info > Storage for a breakdown of the files inside your computer- if you haven't installed anything, the Other (yellow) box will be your OS's size.

8. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'm not sure at all. I'm wondering how Lion is viewing formatting on the drive. Because 475GB is about right for formatting a 512GB drive, but 499GB is too little. The terminology appears to be inaccurate or something.

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Starting with Lion Apple changed the way they read hard drive capacities, so a 500GB drive will appear as a 500GB drive (my 512GB drive shows up as a '500GB Flash' drive in About My Mac).

Of course, user files will appear larger now, but it should confuse users a bit less.

10. ApplePu, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

ApplePu thread starter macrumors regular

wrong! in my 2011 mbp i had a 512gb samsung ssd, and running lion it showed 511.xx available.

the fact that the install takes 24gb still confuses me, if I remember right lion took about 8gb on my other machines...

by the way: the yellow indicator indentifies 21.9 gb as"other". so is there the difference between 512 and 500 included or is it "effective" 22gb?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Strange as it sounds, starting with Lion, if you have a portable Mac with Time Machine turned and you are away from the backup destination, the machine will create local backups in /Mobilebackups. Lion manages this space and will delete the backups if the system/user needs the space.

This is why Disk Util and Finder show different numbers for free space in Lion. One includes the /Mobilebackups folder and the other does not.

I think the idea is if you accidentally delete a document you could still use the local Time Machine backup to retrieve it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4878

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4878

I repeat my question:
    How large is the InstallESD.dmg on rMBPs?

13. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I'm not 'wrong'- it is a fact that Apple changed the way the OS reads the drive capacities. As it turns out, it was even earlier, in SL, not Lion though.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2419

(previously, it was reported using the binary - base 2 - measurement)

Does your computer show there being a 512GB drive or 500GB? That's the total capacity. If it says 22GB is used, then you'll have 478GB available.

All I can tell you is, after I installed ML, I had 499.9GB total capacity and around 47x GB free, so there's nothing wrong with your computer.

That's very strange indeed! Thanks for clarifying that for me.

14. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

It's due to the sleep image. ur total ram amount is written to the drive to protect your work in case of battery outage. Google search it and remove it.

15. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

You can remove it, but it will be created again on the next reboot. You'll need to also disable Safe Sleep, but that can be risky for users with unsaved files open and a low battery.

I did this on my 17" MBP with a small SSD. I gained back 16GB of precious disk space, but I had to always be mindful of the battery meter.

16. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

yeah i guess its risky but not for my usage style and constantly having a charger with me. mine is disabled. haven't looked back

17. mr. penguin macrumors newbie

I have experienced this as well and feel somewhat relieved that nothing is wrong with my machine. I just got a rMBP with 512gb ssd. I had an issue with migration so I had to erase the ssd. In disk utility it lists "Macintosh HD" as only 499.xgb. I erased it and had 498.x available of 499.x. I then installed ML after restarting and holding command + r. After that, 'about this Mac' said I had 475.x available of 499.x.

So, this seems to be standard. Does everything seems correct with my system? I just want to make sure i didn't lose and HD space since I had the migration issue.

Thanks!