Retina MBP, Multiple Displays, and HDMI question

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
So, I've put off buying a new MBP (and even posting on these here forums) for about 5 years. I'm ready to pull the trigger based on the rMBP's multi display support.

My primary question is whether the rMBP HDMI port will power a 23" Aluminum Cinema in Portrait mode @ 1200X1920. I'd like to have a home setup with 2 Portrait oriented 23" Cinemas on VESA mounts on either side of Landscape 30" Cinema, and I'd love if I could power them (usably) from a folded up rMBP.

Thoughts? Can anyone confirm or deny Portrait mode from the HDMI port on any display?

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
How about a simpler scenario...can anyone run any monitor via HDMI in portrait mode from an rMBP?

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Thoughts? Can anyone confirm or deny Portrait mode from the HDMI port on any display?
There is an orientation setting in System Preferences that allows you to rotate the display. HDMI will work fine.

I'm just wondering whether or not there is a Cinema Display that uses HDMI input.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
I'd need to use HDMI to DVI as an adapter. I know the orientation field in the system prefs, as I've used it before. Can you confirm the option is there for HDMI hookups?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.