Retina MBP, Multiple Displays, and HDMI question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nipsy, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

So, I've put off buying a new MBP (and even posting on these here forums) for about 5 years. I'm ready to pull the trigger based on the rMBP's multi display support.

My primary question is whether the rMBP HDMI port will power a 23" Aluminum Cinema in Portrait mode @ 1200X1920. I'd like to have a home setup with 2 Portrait oriented 23" Cinemas on VESA mounts on either side of Landscape 30" Cinema, and I'd love if I could power them (usably) from a folded up rMBP.

Thoughts? Can anyone confirm or deny Portrait mode from the HDMI port on any display?

2. Nipsy thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipsy

How about a simpler scenario...can anyone run any monitor via HDMI in portrait mode from an rMBP?

3. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

There is an orientation setting in System Preferences that allows you to rotate the display. HDMI will work fine.

I'm just wondering whether or not there is a Cinema Display that uses HDMI input.

4. Nipsy thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I'd need to use HDMI to DVI as an adapter. I know the orientation field in the system prefs, as I've used it before. Can you confirm the option is there for HDMI hookups?