retina mbp on wow64 client

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h3blade, Sep 3, 2012.

1. h3blade macrumors newbie

2.3G 8GB 256 default version RMBP, lg screen and have image retention problem, but it fades in a few mins though. I don`t bother to exchange my unit due to the distance i need to travel.

but now i have a new overheating problem, today, i tried wow 64 bit client at lowest setting but 2880 screen resolution. The temp went to 99 and then over 100, system fans spin at 6k rpm and i have a usb MINI fan on the side to blow the hot air away as well.

i could cook eggs on it for my breakfast. :eek:

I did a cpu stress testing and it looks like i have similar problem with this thread --RETINA OVERHEAING
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1432679

if anyone here use the rmbp to play starcraft2 or wow64bit or 32bit at reasonable setting, please post your temp while playing games or rending videos.

2. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

not sure of my exact temps but play sc2 on medium to high settings and don't notice any issues as far as heat goes. just warm to the touch, not scalding.

3. jwksmith macrumors member

There is a bug in the 5.0.4 mac client for WOW. It pegs one or more CPU's at 100 percent and causes serious and possibly damaging overheating. There are several reports of damaged mac's as a result.

(Sticky) 5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412493648

There is a workaround outlined in the above thread in the Mac Technical Support Forum. Basically, you use gdb to suspend the errant thread. I have applied the patch and my MBP has gone from 90 deg C to 55 deg C. It's a bit of a pain as you have to kill the thread every time you start WOW but it does work.

Either run the fix or don't play WOW until BLIZZ patches it.

4. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

5. jwksmith macrumors member

I believe it is only OSX, but I could be wrong.

6. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

Doesn't the MacBook Pro shut itself down before it gets too hot? I thought it has its own failsafe to prevent damage from overheating.

I have experienced higher than normal temperatures playing World of Warcraft since the patch. I do not intend to play again until there is a patch.

7. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

The intel chipset does have a built in auto shutdown.

8. h3blade thread starter macrumors newbie

you should assume is under MAC OS unless otherwise stated win7 bootcamp.

thanks for posting the wow5.04 overheating problem for mac os,I will assume the newest patch sc2 is also suffering the same overheating problem?

I run sc2 again today in a room temp of 26 (air conditions room) and iSTAT Menu reports around 99 (0)C at login screen(jim raynor`s battleship)。

this overheating problem maybe leads to another lifetime usage on rmbp, which i may have to buy 2 years appcare.

note i use gaming as an example of heavy usage on cpu/gpu. i know a lot of people will use rmbp for video or 3d rending.