Retina MBP or $1499 13" MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mikhailov, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Mikhailov macrumors regular

I'm in the market for more storage space and a faster computer, plus my 2010 MBA doesn't have all of the features of Mountain Lion. Am I better off getting a Retina MBP, or a new 13" MBA? I like the ultra portability of the MBA, and how light it feels on my lap, but I'm loving the 15" Retina Screen, quiet cooling fan, and specs of the MBP. How much heavier do you think the MBP will be?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

The 13" Air is 2.96 lbs and the new retina MBP is 4.46 lbs. IF you're looking for portability obviously stick with the Air. If you got the extra money to dish out, get the retina MBP.

3. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

I am looking for portability, but I'm also swooned by the 16GB RAM and the display.

I don't know what I want. Maybe I'll just keep my 2010 MBA ultimate.

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Unless you're a hardcore gamer or a professional video editor, you really don't need 16Gb of Ram. 4GB is way more than enough for basic use. If you want to spoil yourself and you can afford the 15" retina....then get it.

But portability wise, MBA is the way to go. You will be carrying a 1.5 lb heavier and larger laptop. For some it doesnt seem to be an issue, for other's it may be. I'd wait till it comes to a local store and go in and check it out. At least that's what I'm going to do.

5. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not a hardcore gamer on my MBA. I played Star Trek Online and a few other games here and there and they ran decent on normal settings. I would like to play them with higher settings, but at the end of the day, I have consoles for my gaming. The computer is more for work and school than anything else.

I'm looking to upgrade for more storage space for movies, faster RAM, and Airplay mirroring with ML. I want my device to be a media center in addition to a work machine. My 2010 can't do that sadly.

6. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

MBA, then get a Mac Mini for a media station.

I use my MBA for RAW photo editing on the road, and it does surprisingly well, even considering I'm used to my Mac Pro. The MBA is more than powerful enough for 95% of users, I'd say. (gaming excluded.)