Retina MBP or Regular MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Free Ale, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Free Ale macrumors member

Free Ale

Hey guys, I will be going to college this fall. I am thinking about buying my first mac.

If I bought the Regular MBP I would have eventually bought my own SSD and RAM. This would put the purchase at about the same price as the base Retina MBP.

I would be okay with external storage. (I was going to buy a 256GB SSD and use the HDD in an enclosure with 8 or 16GB RAM.)

I think the SSD and RAM on the Retina MBP are not up-gradable. The only thing that scares me is will the 8GB of RAM be enough?(I don't now, but might get into some photoshop or something.)

I just need some help choosing! Thanks

2. 2LMedia macrumors member

8GB will be enough for the foreseeable future, unless you're running After Effects or something. Really depends on if you want the thinner lighter, more retina-y laptop, or the perfectly reasonable thin, light, not-so-retina-y one.

3. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

You will be fine with basic model of retina and 8gb ram
    8gb is enough if you do not have plan for runnig windows in mac or any 3D software
    BTW with the new MBP you will get more than just ssd, you will get retina hdmi better thermal design and more

4. Free Ale thread starter macrumors member

Free Ale

The size difference hardly means anything to me.. I don't really care if it weighs 5 pounds or whatever, still very portable. The retina is enticing, because I have the Retina iPhone and it's amazing.

I might dual boot with windows 7 or 8. the HDMI port is nice, I could hook it up to my HDTV!

The SSD is non-replaceable right? I know the RAM is soldered.

I hope the new thermal design works and it's not a crotch burner!