Retina MBP real-life battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhino89, Dec 8, 2014.

1. rhino89 macrumors regular

Current owners of either late 2013 or mid 2014 models (Haswell), what would you say is the real-life battery life you're getting out of the rMBP with light, medium, and heavy use? Apple says 9 hours, but I searched the threads about battery life and am seeing some posts about 10 hours, some posts about 3-4 hours, and everything in between. Thanks!

2. wct097 macrumors 6502

My 2012 with 89% battery capacity left was still getting 5-6 hours real-world use.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple doesn't claim 9 hours. It says up to 9 hours. Your actual battery life will vary greatly, depending on your workload and settings, and what others are getting may or may not be anywhere close to what you may get, due to different settings, workload, etc.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. K701 macrumors newbie

I have been shocked at how long the battery lasts. On my previous 11" Air, my general light use at work would drop the battery from 100% to 60%. The rMBP went from 100% to 94%!

I can't get the battery to run out on it.

The only disappointing thing I have found is that there was no new MacBook smell. That blissful scent was entirely absent. I crouched down, slit the cellophane, opened the box and wafted my hand upwards as perfume experts do- and my freshly plucked nostrils were treated to nothing!

I blame the batch of smelly MacBook Pros. Now they use scent free everything. It is a loss. A great loss. I will tell my grandchildren of that smell.

5. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

Apple rates the battery upto 9 hours (wifi web, iTunes movie). I get around 6-7 hrs of nonstop netflix streaming and around the area of 9 hours++ under what i consider normal usage - this includes letting the laptop sleep(closing lid when done), surfing, occasional youtube vids etc.

hope this helps.

6. reery macrumors regular

reery

Haha, that's true. Remembering unboxing my 2006 iPod or 2012 rMBP. After 2013 this smell was gone on rMBP's and iPhones.

It smelled interestingly like some sort of very special tech.