Retina MBP SD Card Reader **help**

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J.L.Photography, Apr 26, 2013.

1. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

So i bought a SCANDISK micro sd with the adapter....

i couldnt get my retina macbook to read it so i immediately checked the card on my wife's macbook air and it worked just fine....

tried again several times on my retina and nothing...

do i need to bring it to a "genius" at apple or is there something i dont know about......

thanks

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

3. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

I just left to work, will try it out when I get home... Thanks

4. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Try opening Disk Utility (it's in the /Applications/Utilities folder), then click on your SD card in the left pane. Then in the right pane, click on the "Erase" tab. In the "Format" dropdown menu, choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and click the "Erase..." button.

This will format your card in HFS+ format (what OS X normally uses natively) instead of what your card used by default (possibly FAT). Since this will obviously delete everything on the card, make sure you back up what's on it prior to doing that.

Perhaps this will fix your issue.

5. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

SCANDISK sounds like a cheap ripoff of Sandisk.

Oh, wait a minute. In any case try different cards if you can. I wouldn't bring it in for repair because 1 card didn't work. Try different kinds and not the off-market ones if you can avoid it.

6. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

What alerted me is the MacBook Air picked it up just fine....

It doesn't show up under disk utility

7. tengtengvn macrumors member

tengtengvn

Format SD card to HFS? :confused: :eek:

Can you try a regular SD card? If that doesn't work then you may have a bad SD reader.

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Are you sure the adapter is inserted far enough into the reader slot? The Air has a wider slot, some adapters are thick enough that they work in the AIR but get hung up in the rMBP. You may have to use a bit of force, so I hear.

9. onirocdarb macrumors regular

I have the same problem in my (classic) macbook pro. The card doesn't work in my machine, but works fine in everything else.
    I picked up a 10 dollar external reader, works fine.

10. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

must be bad, ill find out at apple on sunday... thing works fine on one MB but not the rMB

----------

the adapter fits fine... not sure wtf is going on... my $2000 is junk all of a sudden...

----------

the adapter fits fine... not sure wtf is going on... my $2000 is junk all of a sudden...

11. fskywalker, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Can you post a picture? Are you using a custom adapter? My Nifty adapter didnt went in completely and had to sand it a little bit so that it would completely slide in.

12. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

not the case at all, works fine on my other macbook air... just isnt reading or mounting at all on the retina... going to apple tomorrow...

for now, i ended up doing a folder sharing via network between the 2 macs with username access... worked just fine, but a little annoying for a $2000 computer..... if you know what i mean...

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

why format SD if this card worked fine on MBA?? Something wrong with rMBP?
    OP, try push bit hard SD into slot it should work. Mine just work fine with rMBP. :apple:

14. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

15. CurbsEnthusiasm macrumors newbie

Trying using some compressed air if you have a can around. Typically when SD cards do not function on MBP's it's because dust or lint can prevent the metal contacts from properly connecting to the SDcard.

Issues will happen on any device you purchase, whether it's $1 or $1 million dollars. It's not convenient but price of a products does not make it immune to problems.

16. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

17. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

At work all day, apple first thing tomorrow. Should resolve it

18. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I had the same problem until I sanded off a bit off the adapter thickness. It looked fully inserted but wasn't, it was hanging up on some plastic. In addition to being thiner than the Air, the rMBP slot is deeper, so the adapter needs to be pushed in a bit further.

I'm sure the apple store will have test SD cards and sort it out for you.

19. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I guess sanding is not that uncommon to fit SD cards on rMBP's since I'm not the ot one with the same fitting issue.

20. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

+1 with compress air. Use it to blow the dust away from the card reader. I even used some hand rub alcohol and rub the SD card.

21. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

went to apple today, they tried several things before finally trying their own sd card.... popped right up... what i didnt understand is that my microsd + adapter works just fine in the mbAIR, yet wont pop up on my rMBP.....

ideas on what to do? try a different brand? different sandisk micro with adapter??? just keep doing it via file sharing on wifi??

this is the one i have that wont mount... but my reader is fine...
    32gb sandisk micro sd

22. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I've read the rMBP as well as some airs can be picky about adapters. Perhaps try another brand. The plastic connector separators may be too thick or misaligned just enough to make the rMBP unhappy. I've also read that some cards just won't work in the rMBP but works just fine elsewhere.

I have the 64GB version of that sandisk micro card in a minidrive adapter that works just fine in my rMBP 15.

Did the store try your card+adapter in other rMBPs?

23. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

No but perhaps I should have.....

So now I don't know what to do.... Grab a pny 32gb from best buy incase the adapter in general won't mount and if it doesn't just take it back?

24. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

bought another sandisk 32gb micro sd, must have been the adapter as this new one works perfect.... time to return the other!

25. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I'm glad you solved it without needing actual repairs on your machine!!